cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

root file system full

sagar666
Level 5

Hi,

Root file systems i need to clean up. Most of the files are located below /usr/openv/netback has 90%.

I noticed below files are more than 2GB and shall i delete them ?

/usr/openv/netbackup/db/images/inbmaster.asicdesigners.com/1477000000/catstore/hw_home_1477060200_FULL.f_imgRecord0
/usr/openv/netbackup/db/images/inbmaster.asicdesigners.com/1462000000/catstore/hw_home_1462985420_FULL.f_imgRecord0
/usr/openv/netbackup/db/images/inbmaster.asicdesigners.com/1479000000/catstore/hw_home_1479479400_FULL.f_imgRecord0
/usr/openv/netbackup/db/images/inbmaster.asicdesigners.com/1469000000/catstore/hw_home_1469198101_FULL.f_imgRecord0
/usr/openv/netbackup/db/images/inbmaster.asicdesigners.com/1474000000/catstore/hw_home_1474641000_FULL.f_imgRecord0
/usr/openv/netbackup/db/images/inbmaster.asicdesigners.com/1454000000/catstore/hw_home_1454078158_FULL.f_imgRecord0
/usr/openv/netbackup/db/images/inbmaster.asicdesigners.com/1471000000/catstore/hw_home_1471931682_FULL.f_imgRecord0
/usr/openv/netbackup/db/images/inbmaster.asicdesigners.com/1451000000/catstore/hw_home_1451920898_FULL.f_imgRecord0
/usr/openv/netbackup/db/images/inbmaster.asicdesigners.com/1467000000/catstore/hw_home_1467008374_FULL.f_imgRecord0
/usr/openv/netbackup/db/images/inbmaster.asicdesigners.com/1456000000/catstore/hw_home_1456497343_FULL.f_imgRecord0
/usr/openv/netbackup/db/images/inbmaster.asicdesigners.com/1459000000/catstore/hw_home_1459521000_FULL.f_imgRecord0
/usr/openv/netbackup/db/images/inbmaster/1479000000/catstore/bheema_home1_1479572270_FULL.f_imgRecord0
/usr/openv/netbackup/db/images/inbmaster/1481000000/tmp/catstore/bheema_home1_1481694077_FULL.f_imgStrings0
/usr/openv/netbackup/db/images/inbmaster/1481000000/tmp/catstore/bheema_home1_1481694077_FULL.f_imgRecord0

Please advice.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
I agree - NEVER delete anything in images folder. You won't be able to restore if you do that.
Rather delete logs in ...openv/logs/*/* and openv/netbackup/logs/*/*

Once you have cleaned up some space in logs, provide a separate disk for images and maybe logs too.
You will find instructions in NBU Admin Guide I on how to move images to another filesystem.

It is never a good idea to install NBU master server software in the root filesystem.

View solution in original post

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

NBU should be installed in a seperate filesystem, not root, for this exact reason.

Suggest:

Stop NBU services

Delete all files in :

/usr/openv/netbackup/logs

/usr/openv/logs

** Providing you don't want the old logs

Hopefully this will give you a small amount of space

You could then consider archiving the older part of the catalog, this will backup the .f files and then delete them.

Long term, you need to add disk space.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
No - do not delete anything!
Call Veritas Support now.

Marianne
I agree - NEVER delete anything in images folder. You won't be able to restore if you do that.
Rather delete logs in ...openv/logs/*/* and openv/netbackup/logs/*/*

Once you have cleaned up some space in logs, provide a separate disk for images and maybe logs too.
You will find instructions in NBU Admin Guide I on how to move images to another filesystem.

It is never a good idea to install NBU master server software in the root filesystem.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

NBU should be installed in a seperate filesystem, not root, for this exact reason.

Suggest:

Stop NBU services

Delete all files in :

/usr/openv/netbackup/logs

/usr/openv/logs

** Providing you don't want the old logs

Hopefully this will give you a small amount of space

You could then consider archiving the older part of the catalog, this will backup the .f files and then delete them.

Long term, you need to add disk space.

Marianne

Weird that @sagar666 experienced this very serious issue 2 days ago but has not been back to look for answers... Smiley Surprised

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

May have not been working over weekend I suppose, or could have logged a call with us perhaps.

May need suppoet as if the filesystem filled up rapidly, may have toasted the transaction log - it should shut down with 10% diskspace left, but if the filesystem fills up real quick it can still get corrupted.

Hi All,

Thanks a lot for your all suggestions and somehow i am ablle cleaned around 8GB data. Now I need to move images separate file system for this I need to add separate hard drives to master server. It may really take more days but closely monitor and fix as soon i increase disk space.

Thanks

Marianne

Thanks for the feedback.

I sincerely hope that you have not deleted ANYTHING in images folder and sub-directories.

You may want to read up in NBU Admin Guide I about the following topics:

Chapter 22 Protecting the NetBackup catalog

This chapter includes the following topics:
■ About the NetBackup catalog
Parts of the NetBackup catalog
Protecting the NetBackup catalog
■ Recovering the catalog
■ Disaster recovery emails and the disaster recovery file
■ Archiving the catalog and restoring from the catalog archive
Estimating catalog space requirements

In  Parts of the NetBackup catalog section, you will this topic: About the NetBackup image database where the different folders and file types are discussed.

In the last section, you will find information about moving the image catalog.

Hi Marianne,

Yes I have not deleted anything related nbu and I only deleted OS related files and few dumps. Thanks a lot 

Hi,

Shall i sync db images directory to nfs servers. As per documentation it is not recomended to configure images on nfs/CIFS file systems. But images are very important for restore any files. If any corruption on disks lead to loose images files. So is it good idea to sync these files to nfs share as daily basis?

In case of failure we can use synced files to reuse?

Marianne

Your daily hot catalog backup should be sufficient.

Just 'sync' of images folders is not sufficient protection, as images without the header files in the nbdb database are worthless.

Catalog backup ensures your images, header files and the rest of NBU databases within EMM/nbdb are protected and backed up in sync.

The NBU Admin Guide explains the different parts of the the catalog:

Parts of the NetBackup catalog
  About the NetBackup image database
  About the NetBackup relational database