cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

set up pool for daily, weekly, and EOM backup

balckbox1332
Level 2

I have 7.5 net backup in test env as of now. I have create a pool of scratch media. I have three type of backups will be running on this media server.

Daily with 47 (M-F) with retention of 35 days

weekly backup F(PM) - M-(AM) with retention of six months

EOM with retention of 7 years.

How Do I dedicate my pools of my tapes in scracth pool to Daily, weekly and Monthly and when the media is full it wiil be ejected and I can recyle the media, semd it to oof site location, and request them  back for daiy and Monthly back to scratch pool when the retention is expired. This media is going off site and I have to generate a report to reqest them. Is this Possible?

Thanks or there ia a better way to do this...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

hi,

you can create a 3 volume pools, 

1)Daily pool

2)weekly pool

3)Monthly pool 

and assing those pools in the policy --->schedule over wrire storage unit option to the respective schedules.

and you can just use of single volume pool , as long as you dont select the "Allow Multiple Retentions per media"

because netbackup by default does not allow  Multiple Retentions per media, so even they are in same volume pool, same media will not allow to have different retenction backup.

but its good idea to have the different pools.

------

and you can make use of Vault to eject the tapes at a regular intervels and send them to offsite,also recall them after they got expired to reuse them.

Vault will help to manage all this tape rotation, with detail reports., lilke eject report, recall report, expire dates of the vaulumes.. so on... 

but Vault will not consider the tape status , if that is full or not, even the tape has space to write the more data, it will get eject based on the backups written on the tape.(which will be decidec by choose backup tape in vault profile)

for more info about vault you can reffer vault admin guide.. or you can ask away..

hope this hleps.. 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

hi,

you can create a 3 volume pools, 

1)Daily pool

2)weekly pool

3)Monthly pool 

and assing those pools in the policy --->schedule over wrire storage unit option to the respective schedules.

and you can just use of single volume pool , as long as you dont select the "Allow Multiple Retentions per media"

because netbackup by default does not allow  Multiple Retentions per media, so even they are in same volume pool, same media will not allow to have different retenction backup.

but its good idea to have the different pools.

------

and you can make use of Vault to eject the tapes at a regular intervels and send them to offsite,also recall them after they got expired to reuse them.

Vault will help to manage all this tape rotation, with detail reports., lilke eject report, recall report, expire dates of the vaulumes.. so on... 

but Vault will not consider the tape status , if that is full or not, even the tape has space to write the more data, it will get eject based on the backups written on the tape.(which will be decidec by choose backup tape in vault profile)

for more info about vault you can reffer vault admin guide.. or you can ask away..

hope this hleps..