cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

should i eject an active status media?

manatee
Level 6

NBU 7.5.0.5

i have a media with an "Active" status. it contains the golden copy of a server PLUS backups of some other servers.

since i want to keep this golden copy aside, should i eject this media? if so, what would happen to the other backups from other servers that is still using this media (since the status is not yet "Full")?

will the "continuity" be broken?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Nothing will happen to the other images, they will expire as normal.  Simply, with the tape ejected, it will not be used for backups, and would need to be inserted in the library for any restore of images on it.

Not sure why you want to eject it, providing the retention period for the backups are correct just leave it oh the library, it is probably safer there than anywhere else, providing the library is in a separate location from the clients.

If it's a golden copy, should it not be on a dedicated tape ? And perhaps duplicated ?

As a matter of interest are you mixing retention periods on the tapes ?  I'm just thinking that you would perhaps keep a golden image for longer than others, but you talk of other backups on this tape which don't sound like golden images of other clients - if you are mixing retention period on tapes it's not recommended as in a nutshell, you used more tapes than you would otherwise.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Nothing will happen to the other images, they will expire as normal.  Simply, with the tape ejected, it will not be used for backups, and would need to be inserted in the library for any restore of images on it.

Not sure why you want to eject it, providing the retention period for the backups are correct just leave it oh the library, it is probably safer there than anywhere else, providing the library is in a separate location from the clients.

If it's a golden copy, should it not be on a dedicated tape ? And perhaps duplicated ?

As a matter of interest are you mixing retention periods on the tapes ?  I'm just thinking that you would perhaps keep a golden image for longer than others, but you talk of other backups on this tape which don't sound like golden images of other clients - if you are mixing retention period on tapes it's not recommended as in a nutshell, you used more tapes than you would otherwise.

Mujeeb-Arrosoft
Level 3
Partner Accredited

One option is you can freeze the tape if its individual to you /your data . But what if other servers backups are being sent to that paerticular tape. As long as its in frozen state ,its not used for any backup.

If you eject the tape the backups from other servers using this tape will fail. Just keep the tape in the tape library only & you can increase your data retension period. With respect to other server backuping up the data to this tape , data expires after their retension period.

So please don`t eject the tape which in active but may not be ready for backup. That tape may be using for backups by other servers.

manatee
Level 6

it is golden copy. however my problem is how do i tell NBU to use a particular tape? it seems NBU would use any available tapes at its disposal.

Syed_saied
Level 4

HI,

You can eject media if drive not write data on media.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

This would only be true if no other tapes are available.

If a tape is active, it is available for further backups.  If that tape is ejected, providing there are other tapes available there will be no issue, apart from you have less tapes available.  Backups from other servers will simply use a different tape.

You should never freeze tapes manually ever, tapes are frozen when NBU thinks there is damage to them or they are bad in some way. So, a frozen tape signifies a tape that has a problem, or is suspected of having a problem.

Also, images on frozen tapes still expire and if the tape is unfrozen, it may be overwrtten. Freezing tapes does NOT protect images, it is the wrong way to do it - to protect imges, extend the expire time.

To make NBU use a particular tape, simply create a unique volume pool say, 'golden_images' and set the number of partially full media in this pool to 1. Only use that volume pool for your golden images policy.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited