Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

slow backup speed

sri_vani
Level 6
Partner

Hi Experts ,

We have two wan servers takes much time to complete.

when we have verified with network team they have confirmed there was no issues with network speed.

Kindly let me know what do i test from my end to check the possibilities to lowering the backup speed.

When cerified in netbackup detail log i see speed is:160 kb/sec.

9 REPLIES 9

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

hi Sri Vani,

we need to start checking the lot to conclude the slow backups.

1) network speed of client to media server

2) SAN speed of media server to Storage device

3) Load / in the network/servers/ and stoarages(tape of disk)

4) Buffer sizes.

5) Netbackup versions, and the files that are taking backup.

if the files are very small in size and large in number , it may cause the delay...

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH9017

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH189457

so please start isolating one by one.. 

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I presume the backups are going to tape ?

1.  Did this every work properly of has it always been slow.

2.  If it did work properly, what has changed ?

3.  On the media server, what vaules are in these files :

...netbackup/db/confg/SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS

...netbackup/db/confg/NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS

If the files do not exist, create them and put 252144 in the SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS

and 128 in the NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS

If the files do exist AND other backups are running fine, do not change them.

4.  In the job details for one of the slow backups in activity monitor, there should be some lines that look a bit like this :

Waited for full/empty buffer x times, delayed y times

Please post these lines up.

If the lines are not there, then please enable the bptm log on the media server, and the line will be found in the log (the backup has to complete successfully).

Martin

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

... when we have verified with network team they have confirmed there was no issues with network speed.

It does not matter WHERE in the world you are - has anyone EVER heard a network admin NOT saying: there are no issues with network speed ??

We received the same response, even when showing output of traceroute that took just about forever as well as long delays with continuous pings...
Have you tried to do a network copy of some data (+- 1GB) across the WAN using ftp or some other network copy method?
Always a good idea to test the data path with OS tools to eliminate the backup product...

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

It does not matter WHERE in the world you are - has anyone EVER heard a network admin NOT saying: there are no issues with network speed ??

Strongly agree with this... 

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Me too. Hear this all the time only to find there are huge issues with the network

Toni74
Level 2

I'm agree too. First try to transfer a 1 GB file by ftp in order to get transfer ratios and tell us how it works:

To make 1 GB file:

mkfile 1g /tmp/1GBfile

Ftp to media server:

-Launch ftp in host cliente (Source client - Destination Media Server)

put /tmp/1GBfile /tmp/1GBfile

-Launch ftp in Media Server (Source client - Destination Media Server)

get /tmp/1GBfile /tmp/1GBfile

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

No, just use real files - you can have issues where the particular files types cause the issues.

You only need a 30 - 40 MB file, if this FTPs in less than a second, networks probably ok.

I agree with the others, just wan't feeling brave enough to sujjest it's probably the network.

The log lines I mentioned will narrow it down, but you usually end up running ftp tests anyway.

Other options are to log a call with Symantec and ask them to run AppCritical.  This will find any network issues.

Martin

Joseph_TKLee
Level 4

Strongly agree with this.. because we are all from one.. How interesting and wonderful...

There was the first man - Adam.. :)

You know there was the first computer and now how many computers are in the world..

Israel who had the name of Jacob has one country which is Israel.. How well-organized people in the country..

As a computer has a manual, human has the Bible.

That's why we should understand network guys world as we could do same thing. Hahaha..

Do you know why human has many languages? :D

Have a happy X-mas and New Year 2013 whether or not today is the end of the world!

Cheers,

Korean Christian~~

sri_vani
Level 6
Partner

Thank you all for all the help.

I will verify everything and post you the inputs/logs soon