cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

snapshot error 156

NIKHIL234656595
Level 6

I have a windows client Whose Cumulative INCR backup of E drive fails with error 156.

09/08/2012 02:52:00 - Error bpbrm (pid=14593) from client win23: ERR - failure reading file: E:\MSSQL\Backup\KANAIQ\KANAIQ_backup_201209040230.bak (WIN32 2: The system cannot find the file specified. )
09/08/2012 02:52:01 - Error bpbrm (pid=14593) from client win23: ERR - Snapshot Error while reading file: GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy2\MSSQL\Backup\KANAIQ\KANAIQ_backup_201209040230.bak
09/08/2012 02:52:03 - Critical bpbrm (pid=14593) from clientwin23 FTL - Backup operation aborted!
09/08/2012 02:52:04 - Error bptm (pid=14622) system call failed - Connection reset by peer (at child.c.1295)
09/08/2012 02:52:04 - Error bptm (pid=14622) unable to perform read from client socket, connection may have been broken
09/08/2012 02:52:04 - Error bptm (pid=14614) media manager terminated by parent process
09/08/2012 02:52:06 - Error bpbrm (pid=14593) could not send server status message
09/08/2012 02:52:07 - Info bpbkar (pid=3516) done. status: 156: snapshot error encountered
09/08/2012 02:52:07 - end writing; write time: 2:36:58
snapshot error encountered  (156)

But on next FULL schedule it completed successfully.Also i dont have WOFB enable for this in the client attributes

What could be the reason for this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

WOFB is enabled by default. NBU 7.1 uses VSS by default.

Your current problem is with this:

Error bpbrm (pid=14593) from client win23: ERR - failure reading file: E:\MSSQL\Backup\KANAIQ\KANAIQ_backup_201209040230.bak (WIN32 2: The system cannot find the file specified. )

You need to work with SQL dba to ensure that SQL dumps or removal of old dumps do not happen at the same time as NBU backups. 
Here we see a SQL dump file that 'dissapeared' inbetween the start of the backup and the time that NBU tried to create snapshot.
This is not a NBU problem - find out from SQL dba what happened to this SQL dump.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Not sure - status 156 usually means the issue will be seen in the bpfis lo, so you should look there first.  I suspect that there was some issue that happned before bpbrm started, but that caused bpbrm to fail.

Personally, if it's working - don't worry about it BUT, set the logs so you have them if it does fail again, in particular the bpbrm log, bptm log and bpfis log (bpfis is on the client).

So - in summary, you need the logs to see what happened.

You don't say if this is a VM box, which could make a slight difference, but , bpfis log is always the starting point (*)

Regards,

Martin

* Having fallen for this once, this TN covers the one exception where a 156 error is not related to bpfis

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH128805

NIKHIL234656595
Level 6

by default does NBU uses WOFB?if i enabled it or not

NIKHIL234656595
Level 6

In above TN,its says that WOFB is enabled by default

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

If WOFB is enabled, then yes, NBU will try and use it.

You say you do not have WOFB enabled for this client.

Did this clients incremental backups work previously (like 2 weeks ago), and if the DID work, was WOFB disabled at that time.

DO NOT start making changes to NBU until you work out what is going on.

You have a single failure - if this clears on it's own, but you start making changes, the change you make might be wrong and cause more failures.

I am not saying a change will not be required, it might, it might not but there is not enough info to determine this yet.

The worst thing you can do, is start just making changes.

You should know, because it should be in the system documentation, if WOFB backup should be enabled for this client or not.

Looking at what I know ...

If WOFB was enabled when you had the failure, and this is not a Windows cluster, then it's 

back to the bpfis log for answers.

If WOFB backup was NOT enabled, then as you have a 156 error I suspect this is a cluster and the TN explains the reason for the failure.

If WOFB was enabled, AND, this is a cluster then it could be either the cause in the TN, or, we need the bpfis log.

The most important thing is that you do not start making changes, the incr failed, ok not good, but the full appears to work, so at least temp. you can run the full to get the backup.

Trouble shooting should NOT start by making changes, it should start by looking for and finding the cause, without making changes.  I admit sometimes this is not possible, but it is the way an investigation should be started.

Trust me, I see very very broken systems, caused by changes being made without a very good reason.

The conversation goes like this ...

Me. What was changed

Nothing.

Me thinkng - that's odd, the error we see now is not the same as the error that was originally reported ...

... then an amount of time later we prove that x, y, and z changed.

In severe cases, this can take days/ weeks to find, so a problem that should have taken perhaps a few hours, or a day or two to fix, takes weeks, simple because mutiple undocumented changes were made that for some strange reason, nobody can remember making.

Martin

NIKHIL234656595
Level 6

So in general,When a new windows client is added to backup ,it has WOFB enabled?

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I don't think so, but I  don't know for sure and I have no way to check at the moment, as I have no windows clients / servers I can add to my master.

Why don;t you add a client to your server and find out ? (just delete it after)

Martin

NIKHIL234656595
Level 6

In the TN i have posted.There is statements which say that by default it is Enabled.

My main query is this only.

But on next FULL schedule it completed successfully.Also i dont have WOFB enable for this in the client attributes on the master server tab.

This client was not in the client attributes and still i got error 156.

It means by default WOFB is enabled.What say?

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

WOFB is enabled by default. NBU 7.1 uses VSS by default.

Your current problem is with this:

Error bpbrm (pid=14593) from client win23: ERR - failure reading file: E:\MSSQL\Backup\KANAIQ\KANAIQ_backup_201209040230.bak (WIN32 2: The system cannot find the file specified. )

You need to work with SQL dba to ensure that SQL dumps or removal of old dumps do not happen at the same time as NBU backups. 
Here we see a SQL dump file that 'dissapeared' inbetween the start of the backup and the time that NBU tried to create snapshot.
This is not a NBU problem - find out from SQL dba what happened to this SQL dump.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Tip: See a list of all clients settings for WOFB run this following command on the master (have included an example for a client with default settings)

# /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpclient -All -L

Client Name: barney
 Current Host:
Hostname: barney
IP Address: 0.0.0.0
 Dynamic Address: no
 Free Browse: Allow
 List Restore: Not Specified
 Max Jobs This Client: Not Specified
 WOFB Enabled: no
 WOFB FIM: VSP
 WOFB Usage: Individual Drive Snapshot
 WOFB Error Control: Abort on Error
 Connect options: 2 2 3

NIKHIL234656595
Level 6

SQL dumps or removal of old dumps

What does this means?

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Nikhil, your original question has been answered, please create a new thread topic for additional questions.