cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

solaris 8 full system backup

CHONG_WU
Level 5

I need to use backup solaris 8 full system with NBU 5, anyone practice this backup and restore?

16 REPLIES 16

Stumpr2
Level 6
yes, what is the question?

CHONG_WU
Level 5
As normal , select root directory ('/') and backup ? I have some  NFS directory, need to unselect these directory , is it OK?

nbguru
Level 3
Certified

Hi,

Please select ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES instead of /, also add /tmp,/proc,/cdrom in /usr/openv/netbackup/exclude_list. As per my knowledge netbackup will skip NFS mounts.

Regards,

Anish

CHONG_WU
Level 5
Where is ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES? I only see "/" on Directory Structure.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
Within the Policy/Backup Selections window where you can input which filesystems you want to backup (e.g. /, /usr, /opt or whatever) if you select 'New' you are presented with a 'Pathname or directive:' window. The ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES is a directive available from the drop-down list that you are presented with.

Stumpr2
Level 6

You can use " / " as the file list with "cross mountpoints" enabled

or you can use ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES" without "cross mountpoints"

Both will work and each has its advantages/disadvantages according to the filesystems that exist on the server.

CHONG_WU
Level 5

what's advantages/disadvantages for "/" and "ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES"?

Karthikeyan_Sun
Level 6

May be Helpful ! I am not a Unix Guy :(

Modification: When the ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES directive is specified in a policy, in addition to excluding the file system types as specified in the System Administrator's Guide, file systems of type tmp and PROC are excluded.  /tmp and /proc are the most commonly excluded directories using these criteria.

You can determine file systems matching these types with the bpmount -i command and examining the third field of each mount point line in the output.  Here is an example from a Solaris client:

#/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bpmount -i
MNT - ufs 17 1 /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 /
MNT - PROC 5 5 /proc /proc
MNT - mntfs 6 11 mnttab /etc/mnttab
MNT - fd 2 7 fd /dev/fd
MNT - tmp 4 8 swap /var/run
MNT - tmp 4 4 swap /tmp
UNAME - 5 3 3 17 5 SunOS example 5.8 Generic_117350-45 sun4u
VERSION - 25 NetBackup-Solaris8 6.0MP5
EXIT STATUS 0: the requested operation was successfully completed

In the example output above, /proc (type PROC) and /var/run and /tmp (type tmp) would not be backed up in a policy including this client, containing ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES as the Backup Selection.

FOund this in Google Search Check it out !

ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES can do the same as / and Cross Mount Points as long as Allow Multiple Data Streams is turned off, both will backup all the file systems using a single stream. If you use Allow Multiple Data Streams then ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES will spawn a stream per file system of disk on NT.

so let me try and put this in a matrix

Single Stream

ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES no Allow Multiple Data Streams

/ + Cross Mount Points Allow Multiple Data Streams doesn't matter

Multiple Streams

ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES With Allow Multiple Data Streams. It should be noted that ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES also works for UNIX(or at least Solaris) clients as well. 

CHONG_WU
Level 5
Thanks all. That 's to say I can only select ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES and set mutilple stream is off?Another question is , how to restore full system with this backup image?

Karthikeyan_Sun
Level 6

Sorry I am not Sure about this ! I am WIndows Admin ! but based on the Doc it saying that !

ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES with Cross Mount Points Enabled will Also Backup the Mount Points from  Diff Disk; and Allow Multiple Streams will allow the Backup Jobs to Run as Streams in Parallel !

To restore FULL System in WIndows check this http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/295342.htm

DOnt know about Solaris :( 

CHONG_WU
Level 5

For nfs mount , need to set it exclude list?

Har-D
Level 4
Employee Certified

Hi,

For the First que.:

U can go with either "/" or ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES directive both with "Cross Mount Points" checked.

This wouldn't backup the NFS linked data unless you check "Follow NFS"

For the Second que.:

The full-system data will be backed up as normal data. So when restoring need to first install OS on the server i.e. make it in a running condition, get NBU installed and configured under the existing NBU-setup on it, and now you can select what data to restore back to the system.

* Take care of Hostname and IP-address when bringing up the machine under the NBU setup.

* Also, as a side note, if your setup is critical, switch to NBU 6.x, as 5.x is outta support...

Thanks

CHONG_WU
Level 5

Thanks HarD. What's s different between check "Follow NFS" and uncheck. As I uncheck "Follow NFS", nbu also  can backup the NFS linked data.

Har-D
Level 4
Employee Certified

Hello Chong Wu,

On your server, if you have any directory, mounted with a share(NFS) from other server, it should be fully backed up (inculding internal hierarchy of that directory) only if "Follow NFS" option is checked. This is as per the functional design and should work in this way only.

If the option is not checked, bpbkar will count only directory not the data or the structure lying beneath, for backup. This kind of backups are also shown as successful in Activity Monitor, but the fact is No data is backed up, only the directory.

If the data is still accounted for backup, some problem should be there with the filesystem and later on, any issue in backing up that directory, MAY occur.

CHONG_WU
Level 5

That's to say that I should check "follow by nfs" option and be sure that data is completely backup  and successfully restore later.

Har-D
Level 4
Employee Certified

YES...

Or you can verify from the  Catalog on the NBU-Admin Console once after backing up with Follow NFS checked...