cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

specified network interface

r1
Level 5
I have 1 nics on the client , the client OS is a windows server and the master server is a unix server . i have been having name resolutions issues with different errors , 57 , 48 ..etc bplclntcmd

The client has 2 nics cards

one is use ofr apps and access and the second is used for Netbackup , by the way i inherited this from someone and i am trying to figure out this whole thing .

So anyways

1- in Netbackup under client host properties , the client name is listed as cheetah-bkp but when i log in to the server and look at the host name it is named cheetah , is this normal ? where is it getting cheetah-bkp . i looked all over on the client and didn't find it

2- What name should be listed in the host properties under Client Name Tab , cheetah or cheetah-bkp
3- when viewe host properties of the client ,under properties , i see unknown host under the ip address field
4- i can connect using the java console but not windows admin console to view the host properties of the client
5- what should i have in the host file of the master server for the client , cheetah or cheetah-bkp with thier long names or both ?

Thanks for your help in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

1: yes, this is normal. A client can only have one name, but it's required that each network cards can have it own name i DNS. (eg. cheetah & cheetah-bkp)
2:  cheetah-bkp (you need to check if REQUIRED_INTERFACE is set in registry and that proper routing statement has been set on the host, do a netstat -r to check)
3: Do you have proper name resolution in place ?. Both forward and reverse.
4: Is this GUI both from the master server via RDP or from you're workstation ?. If the master server java GUI can connect but the Windows console from you're PC can't  this point of name resolution problems. Seem you're PC can resolve cheetah-bkp, do e.g nslookup cheetah-bkp.acme.com
5: Like this (both)

10.1.1.1 cheetah cheetah.acme.com
10.2.1.1 cheetah cheetah-bkp.acme.com

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

r1
Level 5
i meant to say at the begining , i have 2 nics on the client not one

Anonymous
Not applicable
Gather the following files for review:

master server:
/usr/openv/netbackup/bp.conf
/etc/hosts

client:
verify that the client has a static IP address (recommened over DHCP) : ipconfig /all
windows hosts file
Registry tree branch HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\VERITAS\NetBackup\CurrentVersion\Config\

Make sure in this registry tree that
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\VERITAS\NetBackup\CurrentVersion\Config\Server

the first entry hostname in this key is the same as first line hostname SERVER = on the master server bp.conf

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\VERITAS\NetBackup\CurrentVersion\Config\Client_Name

This is the same client name used in the NetBackup policy

Now use these technotes to test communications between master and client

How to verify name resolution for Veritas NetBackup (tm) systems, using the "bpclntcmd" command
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/261393.htm
How "bpclntcmd -pn" is used to resolve multiple interfaces on Clients.
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/184043.htm

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

1: yes, this is normal. A client can only have one name, but it's required that each network cards can have it own name i DNS. (eg. cheetah & cheetah-bkp)
2:  cheetah-bkp (you need to check if REQUIRED_INTERFACE is set in registry and that proper routing statement has been set on the host, do a netstat -r to check)
3: Do you have proper name resolution in place ?. Both forward and reverse.
4: Is this GUI both from the master server via RDP or from you're workstation ?. If the master server java GUI can connect but the Windows console from you're PC can't  this point of name resolution problems. Seem you're PC can resolve cheetah-bkp, do e.g nslookup cheetah-bkp.acme.com
5: Like this (both)

10.1.1.1 cheetah cheetah.acme.com
10.2.1.1 cheetah cheetah-bkp.acme.com