cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

spoold memory usage behaviour

Michal_Mikulik1
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

NetBackup 7.7 or 8.0 on Windows 2008 R2.

I am now facing an issue with insufficient RAM on a MSDP server (allocated dedup storage has reached 50 TB and RAM is 32 GB - not probably enough because memory exhaustions appear every few days now). Customer will likely have additional RAM, however in the meantime, I wanted to temporarily limit spoold memory usage and I have noticed the following behaviour:

When I set MaxCacheUsage in contentrouter.cfg - either to RAM percentage or to a fixed amount of GB - the spoold is aware of this. For example, when I set it obviously low (1 GB) , it reports:

Cache Usage              : 1024.00 MB

Cr_IndexManager::ThreadMain: Data Store nodes have completed cache loading(Incomplete Cache)

so spoold "knows" that it can take only 1GB of memory and  that it is not able to cache all fingerprints. However in Windows Task Manager, spoold reports 2.5 GB memory consumption.

I have observed similar behaviour on 2 different MSDP's - another server is set to 24 GB cache memory usage and spoold usage in Task Manager is 27 GB.

Does not anybody here encounter this behaviour?

Thanks

Micha

2 REPLIES 2

Axel_Kunze
Level 3

Hi Michal,

have you ever solved this problem? We're facing maybe the same issue with 8.1.1 on SLES...

Thanks in advance,

Axel

Michal_Mikulik1
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

no it was not resolved, customer had managed to buy more RAM.

Regards

Michal