cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sql backups fail with status 48

gkman
Level 5

Hello,

for a long time now I am my backups on one of my servers are failing with status 48:

11/17/2016 12:05:02 - Error bprd (pid=12092) Unable to write progress log </C/Programְ Files/Veritas/NetBackup/Logs/user_ops/dbext/logs/1808.0.1479377094> on client otastest.dom.hadassah.org.il. Policy=SQL-SIP Sched=LogBackup-Morning
11/17/2016 12:05:02 - Error bprd (pid=12092) CLIENT otastest.dom.hadassah.org.il  POLICY SQL-SIP  SCHED LogBackup-Morning  EXIT STATUS 48 (client hostname could not be found)

I have checked and made certain that I am not using hosts files on the media and master servers, and that dns records in both forward and reverse zones are correct. (I did need to correct the reverse record)

I have ran the 'bpclntcmd -clear_host_cache' command a few times already (after I corrected the dns record)

network is good, but my backups are still failing.

what else can I try doing?

3 REPLIES 3

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Did you clear host_cache on master and media server?

Have you tested NBU hostname resolution from master and media server with bpclntcmd and bptestbpcd? 
Use the client's FQDN as per the error log.

I did use clear host_cache- but it still failed..
however a few minutes ago the backups started working without me doing anything.
I guess it just took its time until catching on to the changes I made (over two hours)

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I have once seen this where clear_host_cache had no effect. No error, but did not work.
It had to do with file-level permissions on Windows.

I then searched for the cache file at OS-level and manually deleted it. (I think after changing access permissions...)

All fine after doing so.