cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sql backups failing with status 2

wv1
Level 3

sql backup suddenly started failing with status 2. DBA confirms of no changes on SQL host

Couldn't get much info in details status

pls help

NBU master 7.5

client windows 2003 and nbu 7.0

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

wv 

with port number , i am sure when you try configuring NBU sql client with port in sql host and select db to backup and create script you get following two field

SQLHOST abc.local 1234

BROWSECLIENT abc.local 1234

try removing port number from BROWSECLIENT only

so your script should look something to below

SQLHOST abc.local 1234

BROWSECLIENT abc.local 

This should now be able to allow you to connect sql and continue with backups

let us know if above helps. If it still fails we would need dbclient logs along with your scripts

(pls mask your internal system name/ips)

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Dyneshia
Level 6
Employee

A status 2 si very generic.  Here are some generic steps to take :

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH75456 - Most common issues and solutions to NetBackup for SQL backups that fail with Status Code 2.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH74475  - A comprehensive list of solutions for the most common NetBackup for Microsoft SQL Server database agent backup and restore issues

If those do not reoslve your issue, we need :

- job detail status

- dbclient

- bpbkar

- batch file

Check to see if there are any errors on the SQL server application event viewer during the time of the backup.

Dyneshia
Level 6
Employee

Hi wv, were you albe to review the above info ?  Do you have more details on your issue ?

inn_kam
Level 6
Partner Accredited

enable db client logs on SQL server

and follow all tech notes replied above

wv1
Level 3

i went through above TN dyneshia

Thanks it were helpful for my other sql issues but not dis 1.

i verified again with other dba and application owner and saw patten they connect to sql

they were using port number beside ip .. i tried doing same in scripts but it was still failed

i guess i 'm near to solution but don't know answer to it.

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

wv 

with port number , i am sure when you try configuring NBU sql client with port in sql host and select db to backup and create script you get following two field

SQLHOST abc.local 1234

BROWSECLIENT abc.local 1234

try removing port number from BROWSECLIENT only

so your script should look something to below

SQLHOST abc.local 1234

BROWSECLIENT abc.local 

This should now be able to allow you to connect sql and continue with backups

let us know if above helps. If it still fails we would need dbclient logs along with your scripts

(pls mask your internal system name/ips)

wv1
Level 3

thank you jack

i did pointed previously of ports being culprit... Thanks for highlights in change in script... couldn't understand how previously backups were working. though DBA claims that port wasn't changed at all ,they mentions of same port being used since DB and App was configured.....

where Can we request to update documentations. Above should be updated in NBU admin guide for sql