Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sql db backup failing with error code2

intradmin
Level 3

Dears

i need yours help urgently

our few sql db policies are failing with below error.

none of the requested files were backed up

even though netbackup id have full permission i restarted service multiple times and reconfigure script still same issue

it is under cluster in some policies active node is failing passive node backup sucessfull please help me to resolve this issue

attached logs

thanks

11 REPLIES 11

Michal_Mikulik1
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

status 7643 appears multiple times in the logs. Via Certificate Management\Host Management, you must add Host Mappings between physical and virtual nodes of the cluster.

Regards

Michal

thanks for yours reply

could you please provide the steps it will be very helpfull for me

just to note recently we replaced netbackup appliacne ( media server) in some policy passsive node backup working fine,

thanks

Michal_Mikulik1

Hello,

steps are documented and/or easily googlable, for example here:

https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/21733320-127424841-0/v126691256-127424841

Regards

Michal

just now verified mapping already present for these servers

see attached file. please advise futher

Michal_Mikulik1

Hello,

you have only physical hostname to FQDN / IP mapping.

I dont see physical hostname to virtual hostname mapping.

Regards

Michal

hi,

our envirnoment is all virtual could give us example of physical server mapping to virtual server

thanks

Marianne

@intradmin 

In cluster terms, we refer to 'physical' names as the cluster node names.
Virtual names refer to the virtual hostname that is associated with the clustered instance. 

Please do yourself a favour - download the NBU for SQL manual (click on the Acrobat reader icon in below link):
NetBackup for Microsoft SQL Server Administrator's Guide

Read all cluster-related topics, e.g. 
- Reviewing the auto-discovered mappings in Host Management
- Configuring mappings for restores of a distributed application, cluster, or virtual machine
- Configuring backups of clustered SQL Server instances (SQL Server Intelligent Policy) 
- Configuring backups of clustered SQL Server instances (legacy SQL Server policies) 

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

@intradmin you are confusing yourself between hypervisor host (aka VMware) which typically runs as a cluster of ESXi hosts - versus, guest VMs which can themselves be clustered at the guest level.

In such a guest cluster, each VM will have a primary NIC primary IP and primary host name.

e.g.

guestA 10.0.10.1 - and has private disk C: and D:

guestB 10.0.10.2 - and has private disk C: and D:

...but we want to "layer" a cluster above these guest OS.  We want to be able to "fail-over" a set of resources from one guestA to guestB and vice versa.

So, we create a Cluster Resource Group, which typically contains:

guestC 10.0.10.3 - and has shared disk E:

...and so what appears to be a third IP, a "cluster virtual IP" (aka "cluster VIP") can failover across two guest OS - and so all three resources:

resource name: guestC

resource IP:  10.0.10.3

resource volume:   E:

...all failover across guestA and guestB - because all three resource types live in the same "resource group".

HTH

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

I guess, in this example, one could call 10.0.10.3 a "virtual virtual IP"    

...or perhaps that should be "virtual virtual virtual IP"   ?

:p

...but no-one actually calls them that.

hi,

though the mapping is  done still getting same error see attacehed log.

sdo & mari,

Thanks for your reply

Michal_Mikulik1

Hello,

you should send us a new version of Host Management printscreen, where "Mapped Host Names" column is visible with all values.

Error 7643 still persists in error logs, so I guess that hqdb-sp* nodes dont have proper mapping to SQL vistual cluster name.

Hint - I see from your printscreen that your Master Server is also clustered (DCNBMASTCLU/MAST01/MAST02). So follow the same mapping steps for SQL server physical/virtual nodes.

Also, to better isolate the problem, run simple filesystem backups first - with physical nodes as clients, and with virtual cluster node as client, if it works.

Regards

Michal