cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sql intelligent backup skipping schedules

gkman
Level 5

Hello,

I recently had my database log overflowing. after a quick investigation I found out that the transaction log backup schedule was simply not preformed. the strange thing is that the full backup schedule (of the same intelligent policy) was preformed normally. 

I have the policy set to preform full backups instead of log backup in case there was no full backup available, but as I said, full backups were performed regularly for the past few days, and I didn't get any errors this past week with any of the sql backups.

How can I solve this? (I already performed a manual backup, but I can't keep manualy backing up the logs)

thanks for the help.

4 REPLIES 4

vtas_chas
Level 6
Employee

How are your schedules set up?  There are several mistakes that can be made in setting up a schedule that could cause this, but this is odd that only the transaction log backups aren't happening.

Have you opened a support case?

Charles
VCS, NBU & Appliances

I haven't opened a support case yet. 
I was assuming it was because a misconfiguration on my part, and was hoping to determine what it was for myself. (and the help of the community, I find I better learn this way)

any ideas?

vtas_chas
Level 6
Employee

Well, there's the obvious ones like the schedule being active, does it have some window settings that prevent it from running at the proper time, what's different about the tlogs schedule than the regular one, etc.?  

Charles
VCS, NBU & Appliances

Michal_Mikulik1
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

when both schedules (both Full and TLog) are in the same policy, be also aware that Tlog schedule cannot run when Full schedule is running.

That is the reason why MS SQL Guide advises here separate policies when full backups take more time than required frequency for TLog backups

Anyway, please attach bppllist output for the policy.

Regards

Michal