cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

staging directory at 95% capacity

mjd42970
Level 3

We've been experiencing an issue with backups taking a long time to complete. Part of the reason they are taking so long is that the write speeds will slow from 20000 to 30000 kbs down to 5000 to 7000 kbs. The resolution is for me to reboot the backup/media server. This write speed slow down happens across all disks, all OS's (Unix, Oracle, Windows).

In my limited troubleshooting skills I noticed that after i rebooted the server (media/backup) the staging directory went from 95% capacity to 83% capacity.

Could the staging directory filling up be causing any of the write speeds to slow?

server - Version 6.5.4 (out of support)

clients - 6.5.3 to 6.5.4

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

What are your High and Low Water marks? 

This TN describes how DSSU cleanup works: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH66149

If cleanup is necessary while backups are running, it seems that a slow-down can be expected. When your server is rebooted, there are no backups running and cleanup can be done 'undisturbed'.

To trace what is happening during slow-down period, ensure that the following log folders exist on the media server:
bptm   (writing of backups)
bpdm  (disk cleanup)
admin  (duplication/relocation)

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
when used capacity reaches to high water mark, NetBackup start to expire backup images on staging area. While expiring, backups in progress become suspended. But i think it does not take so long unless there are numerous backup images in DSSU. To clarify if exiration happens, check NetBackup logs by bperror command.

Marianne

What are your High and Low Water marks? 

This TN describes how DSSU cleanup works: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH66149

If cleanup is necessary while backups are running, it seems that a slow-down can be expected. When your server is rebooted, there are no backups running and cleanup can be done 'undisturbed'.

To trace what is happening during slow-down period, ensure that the following log folders exist on the media server:
bptm   (writing of backups)
bpdm  (disk cleanup)
admin  (duplication/relocation)

mjd42970
Level 3

Thank you for the responses.

The high and low watermarks, are you referring to highest points lowest points of filled percentage?

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

If you look at the disk storage unit you will see that it has a high and low watermark setting (both are percentages)

Do you have any Anti Virus or defrag programs running? It could be these slowing things down - i have seen an AV scan take days on a disk storage unit - the scan being broken by the reboot

Exclude all NBU installation locations and disk storage units from scanning and scans

mjd42970
Level 3

It's curious that after a reboot of the media/backup server (solaris OS, NB 6.5) the backup performance increases again. I'm not sure for how long, but it's imeadiatley noticeable of the increase.

Marianne

Have you seen my post on 15 Dec?  

I have tried to explain my thoughts about the performance difference in that post.

Also ensure that all of the logs exists if you need to pursue this...