cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

standalone tape drive backup

CHONG_WU
Level 5
With a standalone tape drive, has the medias with actvie status(not full) in the same volume pool, can't select these medias to run a backup job, how to do?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
NetBackup will allways try to append to existing, Active media that fits the criteria (in the right pool, the right retention level not Full, Frozen, Suspended, Imported).
If you do not want this to happen, you can suspend the Active media:
bpmedia -suspend -m <id>

How NetBackup selects media with Standalone tape drives is explained in the link that I posted above (it's an extract from one of the NBU Admin Guides - not sure if it's I or II).

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

CHONG_WU
Level 5
notice

Marianne
Level 6

The next requirement for media selection is retention level. NBU does not mix retention levels. Also ensure the media is still Active (not Suspended or Frozen)

Have a look at the Solution in this post:
https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/how-does-netbackup-determine-which-media-volume-pool-use-backup

CHONG_WU
Level 5

Thanks. Can I  select media in the sratch pool, not from the current pool, even if has some active media in the current pool?

Marianne
Level 6
NetBackup will allways try to append to existing, Active media that fits the criteria (in the right pool, the right retention level not Full, Frozen, Suspended, Imported).
If you do not want this to happen, you can suspend the Active media:
bpmedia -suspend -m <id>

How NetBackup selects media with Standalone tape drives is explained in the link that I posted above (it's an extract from one of the NBU Admin Guides - not sure if it's I or II).