Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

status code 90 on excluded drives

davidbe
Level 4
Hi,

Since migrating to 7, I get status code 90 on Windows excluded drives

06/27/2010 18:31:32 - end writing; write time: 0:01:13
media manager received no data for backup image  (90)

I have excluded folders which I don't any errors, only the drives. Excluded drives are defined as followed: G:\
I tried adding a * but got the same error.

Is this because I use VSS and it cannot make the snapshot?
is there workaround?

Thanks
David
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

This is a known issue but we don't have a fix for it yet.

If you want to add your voice to give it some more visibility with the folks who fix issues, please open a support case and reference Etrack 2041451.  (And don't tell anybody I told you to do this, wink wink ;) )

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

and you are excluding certain drives for a specific reason?

Is multi-streaming enabled? If so it tries to create a stream for each drive & then finds it needs to exclude it -> no data for backup image (could be that NB7 now reports this as an 'error' unlike earlier versions just backing up an empty folder?). If so you could try switching off multi-streaming.

Another workaround may be to be more specific in your backup selection e.g. specifiy SCC/System State and C drive if that's all you want etc etc.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Certainly seems like a new 'feature' in NBU 7.
I've done a test - my own laptop that is still on 6.5.5 produced status 0 with 1 Kb backed up (ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES with C:\ in exclude list).
One of our servers that's been upgraded to version 7 produces status 90 with excluded drive letter.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
(or something very similar) a few weeks or so ago - something that 'failed' quietly pre-NB7 but shouts out a bit now!

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

This is a known issue but we don't have a fix for it yet.

If you want to add your voice to give it some more visibility with the folks who fix issues, please open a support case and reference Etrack 2041451.  (And don't tell anybody I told you to do this, wink wink ;) )

davidbe
Level 4
Thanks Chris, will do!!!!

Andy, tried without the multistream and it works just fine, problem is, I have over 20 servers in that particular policy and I definetely need the multistreaming.

Solution could be to make a different policy for that server but as I already have over 300 policies I only create new ones if its absolutely necessary.

Will wait for the fix I guess.  As the guys here use to say, It'll be fixed in the next version!!!!

Thanks guys for your help!
David

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
definetely need the multistreaming."

With it off you'll still get a separate job for each client but only one and not 3 or 4 etc depending on how many drives you have.

We've not got as many policies as yourself, but some of ours have say 30-40 clients (again not a lot compared to many other cases) & we did used to multi-stream. But this resulted in, say, 80 jobs for just one policy which could be quite a demand on resources (especially if 3 or 4 streams were running from a single client). Consequently we've now switched the multi-streaming off so there is (generally) only one job running on a client at any one time.

I did do an exercise to time all this before switching off multi-streaming & found that running several separate streams slowly due to resource contention on the client etc took approximately the same time as a single stream for the same data set but running faster - so there was no effect on the overall backup window in implementing this change (for us!)

davidbe
Level 4
Just to close the topic:

Official statement from Symantec, Engeneering is working to fix this but it isn't easy to do so don't expect it to be fixed until 7.1 or 7.2 at the earliest.

Problem comes from the fact that in 6.x, even when excluded, when the drives are enumerated, it sends some fake data to tape which it doesn't in 7.0 resulting in a code 90 as if the drive is empty.

Workaround:  As Andy stated, instead of ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES directive, specify each drive individually (and its recommanded by Symantec and speed up backup) when possible.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Thanks for the update.