cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

strange PureDisk type not listed

mad_about_you
Level 4

i'm migrating our old 7.7.3 server to 8.1.2 and i start with fresh install of 7.7.3 on solaris 11.

during installation, i entered two license keys. checking on the console's Help/License Keys, PureDisk Option is listed there.

but when i try to create a new disk pool (type PureDisk), i don't see it listed.noPD.PNG

from the old server, PD is listedpd.PNG

is there anything else that needs to be done to get PureDisk listed as storage type?

13 REPLIES 13

mad_about_you
Level 4

to check if i'm missing a license, i exported the license from my old, but working NBU master/media server to file1.

i then exported the license from the new, still being configured NBU master/media server to file2.

i compared file1 and file2. the only difference is the date of their installations. everything else checks out.

still looking why in the new server, there is no PureDisk storage server type when adding new disk pool.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

After adding license keys to a NetBackup Server, the application needs to be restarted.

@sdo wrote:

After adding license keys to a NetBackup Server, the application needs to be restarted.

i restarted the whole server. no change.

Michal_Mikulik1
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

you must first create PureDisk Storage Server, then you can follow with a Disk Pool creation. So go to Credentials\Storage Servers\New Storage Server first.

Regards

Michal

sdo

Also note that MSDP not supported on ZFS storage in Solaris 11 :

https://download.veritas.com/resources/content/live/OSVC/100032000/100032808/en_US/nbu_80_scl.html

@sdo wrote:

Also note that MSDP not supported on ZFS storage in Solaris 11 :

https://download.veritas.com/resources/content/live/OSVC/100032000/100032808/en_US/nbu_80_scl.html

that link does not exist.

sdo

Some Veritas tech note page links get randomized by their servers.  Anyway, I'm hoping that you should be able to find the SCL here:

https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/article.100040093.html

If you are still having the problem, please can you list /describe the steps that you have followed so far in your attempt to configure the storage?

@sdo wrote:

Some Veritas tech note page links get randomized by their servers.  Anyway, I'm hoping that you should be able to find the SCL here:

https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/article.100040093.html

If you are still having the problem, please can you list /describe the steps that you have followed so far in your attempt to configure the storage?

1. installed solaris 11 with updates
  2. installed nbu 7.7.3
    1. applied license keys
  3. upgraded to 8.1.2
    1. applied same license keys above
  4. opened nbu console
  5. went to Disk Pools
    1. no PureDisk listed. empty

the 14TB disk (zfs filesystem) is visible from the OS.

same steps i did above for Oracle Linux 6.3 and immediately the Puredisk is listed when i go to add Disk Pools.

sdo

In the SCL it clearly says:

"ZFS file system is not supported as a backend storage location for a MSDP disk pool"

...but I guess if you insist on trying anyway, then what about @Michal_Mikulik1 post above, re creating the storage server?  Have you done that?

N.B: I'm not suggesting that it will work.  Personally, I doubt that it will work.  There must be a very good reason for Veritas to make a point of explicity stating that it is not supported.

@sdo wrote:

In the SCL it clearly says:

"ZFS file system is not supported as a backend storage location for a MSDP disk pool"

...but I guess if you insist on trying anyway, then what about @Michal_Mikulik1 post above, re creating the storage server?  Have you done that?

N.B: I'm not suggesting that it will work.  Personally, I doubt that it will work.  There must be a very good reason for Veritas to make a point of explicity stating that it is not supported.

bummer. i didn't see that. but i managed to create a storage/disk pool with Advanced Disk type. will that work with deduplication jobs?

sdo

AFAIK, Advanced Disk can be layered on top of any Posix compliant file-system.

However, even just a quick glance through the NetBackup Advanced Disk Storage Solutions Guide

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100044086

...and I saw this additional restriction for Advanced Disk on ZFS:

ZFS

Veritas recommends that you do not span backup images across ZFS volumes in an AdvancedDisk disk pool. File system full conditions cannot be detected adequately. Therefore, a disk pool based on ZFS volumes should be comprised of only one volume.

...I very much recommend that you read the guide, cover to cover, as there may well be more restrictions.

As for whether you can enable ZFS deduplication underneath (i.e. within) the file system, then I think you'll need to continue your research.

sdo

Apologies - I had meant to start my reply with... no, unfortunately not, NetBackup cannot itself deduplicate to Advanced Disk.

mad_about_you
Level 4

i'm scratching this approach and will go for RHEL 8 on the new hardware.

will also use xfs for my MSDP partition. same as with the old server.

too bad solaris and zfs is not well supported. they're stable.