cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

symantec netbackup disk based image via the command line

NIKHIL234656595
Level 6
  1. symantec netbackup disk based image via the command line?

2. When would I, or would I not, use cross mount points?

3. symantec netbackup configure retention from command line ?

4.  What is the difference between the expiration date for a volume in NetBackup's media catalog and Media Manager's volume database?

5. In which location(path) the temp files located in Netbackup for Windows/Unix?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

/var is a separate mount point under /

If you do not allow cross mount points, it will not backup /var.  If you allow cross mount points, it will.

How do you find a disk based image via the command line and then delete it?

Look in the reports, some of them refer to disk images - one way

bpimagelist - then search for the disk based images in the FRAG lines - another way

Look directly in the disk STU at the actual backup images, the names of the files contain the backupid.

Use bpexpdate -backupid <backupid> to expire them.

Martin

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Hi For command line see if below link helps. http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH43834 Thanks

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

1. symantec netbackup disk based image via the command line?

2. When would I, or would I not, use cross mount points?

3. symantec netbackup configure retention from command line ?

4.  What is the difference between the expiration date for a volume in NetBackup's media catalog and Media Manager's volume database?

5. In which location(path) the temp files located in Netbackup for Windows/Unix?

I don't understand 1.

2.  Cross mount points if you specify (for example) / in the backup selection, and wish NBU to backup root and then 'cross' over to other 'filesystems' that are spearate mountpoints. for example /var.

3.  Configurer retention time using bpretlevel command eg. bpretlevel -r 10 5 d (set ret level 10 to 5 days)

4.  MediaDB expiratuion date is the date the last image on the tape expires.

VolDB expire date is not set as default, but is set is the date after which NBU will not use the tape.

5.  Impossible question, NBU creates what you could classify as tmp files in various places (that is files that are created, and then deleted sometime later).

There is a temp dir on windows 

Install_path\VERITAS\NetBackup\temp 

And on unix

/usr/openv/tmp

But there are other files that can be created/ deleted at variuos times, and other areas where you can delete files that will be recreated with NBU restarts, so I would say this is an unreasonable question.

Martin

NIKHIL234656595
Level 6

2.  Cross mount points if you specify (for example) / in the backup selection, and wish NBU to backup root and then 'cross' over to other 'filesystems' that are spearate mountpoints. for example /var.

Above is not clear 

Question 1 was below:

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

/var is a separate mount point under /

If you do not allow cross mount points, it will not backup /var.  If you allow cross mount points, it will.

Look in the reports, some of them refer to disk images - one way

bpimagelist - then search for the disk based images in the FRAG lines - another way

Look directly in the disk STU at the actual backup images, the names of the files contain the backupid.

Use bpexpdate -backupid <backupid> to expire them.

Martin

NIKHIL234656595
Level 6

if i allow cross mount point and in backup selection i have only /.Then it will act as ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES?

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

More of less, yes.  The backup works a bit different as with all local drives the master contacts the client to work out what files systems are there, if you use / and cross mount points it doesn't.  So effectivly on unix at least you would back up the same data.

Martin

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Just seen that bpimmedia has this option

bpimmedia -disk_stu storage_unit_label

So it looks like that is another way to find disk based images.

M

NIKHIL234656595
Level 6

CROSS MOUNT POINT WORKS ON BOTH WINDOWS AND UNIX?

More of less, yes.  The backup works a bit different as with all local drives the master contacts the client to work out what files systems are there, if you use / and cross mount points it doesn't.  So effectivly on unix at least you would back up the same data.

Above statement is valid for win also?

Can i write one mount point in backup selection and check cross mount point in my environment?

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Nikhil, when you mark a post as SOLVED, you indicate that your query has been ANSWERED.

If you have more doubts, questions, etc about Cross Mountpoints and you cannot find the answers in NBU Admin Guide I or even by searching this forum and/or Google, then PLEASE start a NEW Discussion?

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Not sure for windows, as you have 

c:\

d:\

e:\

and so on, these are different drives, not sure if NBU considers these as mountpoints.  Mountpoints are really a Unix thing.

1.  You could always try it with a test policy

2.  Start a new post to ask this question

3. Look in the manual like this

Cross mount points (policy attribute)
The Crossmountpoints attribute controls whether NetBackup crosses file system
boundaries to back up or archive all files and directories in the selected path. For
example, if root (/) is specified as the file path on a UNIX system, NetBackup backs
up root (/) and all files and directories under root in the tree. This attribute is
supported on computers running UNIX or Windows 2003 and later.
When this attribute is disabled, only the files that are in the same file system as
the selected file path are backed up. By disabling, you also prohibit NetBackup
Creating policies for backups and snapshots
Policy Attributes tab
from crossing mount points to back up root (/) without backing up all the file
systems that are mounted on root. (For example, /usr and /home.)
In some cases, consider creating separate policies for the backups that cross mount
points and those that do not. For example, in one policy, disable Cross mount
points and include root (/) in the backup selection list. As a result, only the root
file system is backed up, and not the file systems that are mounted on it. In another
policy, enable Cross mount points and include root (/) in the backup selection
list. As a result, all the data on the client is backed up.

This is from the WIndows admin guide, it looks only talks about unix, so it looks like it is not valid for windows.

Martin

NIKHIL234656595
Level 6

Do not use theCrossmountpoints attribute in policies on UNIX systems where
you use the ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES directive in the backup selection list.

Why this is so?

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Because ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES will backup all the different mountpoints.

If you select cross all mount points it would backup up things twice.

Consider this simple example.

The server has just two filesystem

/var  (this is a separate mountpoint)

If I select cross all mountpoints and tell it to backup up /

NBU will start to backup /, when it gets to /var, it is allowed to cross into it and back it up - as you understand.

If you the use all local drives and cross mount points

First, NBU works out what the separate mount points are (this is a difference when using all local drives)

It works out it has to backup / and /var separately

NBU will backup / as before, when it gets to /var, which is listed under / -  because cross mount points is allowed, it will backup /var, but, it is backuping up /var as part of /

Once it finishes, it will backup the next filesystem in the list, which is /var

So, /var will have been backed up twice

Martin

NIKHIL234656595
Level 6

The server has just two filesystem

/var  (this is a separate mountpoint)

If I do not select cross all mountpoints and tell it to backup up /

Then in that case?

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
You have these choices: 1) Backup / with 'cross mount points' 2) Backup ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES without 'cross mount points' All of this is explained in Admin Guide I. PLEASE start a new discussion if you still have doubts. You have marked this thread as SOLVED. This means your questions were answered, right?

NIKHIL234656595
Level 6

In some cases, consider creating separate policies for the backups that cross mount
points and those that do not. For example, in one policy, disable Cross mount
points and include root (/) in the backup selection list. As a result, only the root
file system is backed up, and not the file systems that are mounted on it. In another
policy, enable Cross mount points and include root (/) in the backup selection
list. As a result, all the data on the client is backed up.
Note: NetBackup specifically excludes mapped directories even if FollowNFS and
Cross mount points are enabled. To back up mapped directories, include the
directories in the file list.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

It would only back up / and not backup /var, as /var is a separate mountpoint.

Martin