cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

synthetic backup

kdwbragg
Level 3
Certified

Need help creating a synthetic backup policy .  I keep getting an  error when policy tries to validate snapshots. The policy is windows and not flash backup.

Any help

10 REPLIES 10

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

"I keep getting an error"

What error are you getting? This is fundamental to helping you with the the issue.

kdwbragg
Level 3
Certified

virtual machine proxy server snapshot could not be created with VMware method

kdwbragg
Level 3
Certified

virtual machine proxy server snapshot could not be created with VMware method

Amaan
Level 6

Can you please send us your policy details?

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Environment: NB & OS versions?

What is it *exactly* that you're trying to back up?

watsons
Level 6

Did you accidentally click on "perform snapshot client" in that policy?

If you just want to do a normal Windows backup using VSS snapshot, you don't need to check that option, just enable Volume Shadow Copy on your client and switch the "client attributes" on your master server host properties to use VSS.

kdwbragg
Level 3
Certified

I'm trying to create a synthetic policy for our vm's. Currently we are doing fulls every night. I would like to spread that out bi-weekly or even monthly and just do increments to have a up to date copy. Since incremental backup will consist only of changed information. it would cut down on our time.  My policy is a windows policy with perform snapshot backups enabled and "perform off-host backup" enabled the options

client name selection= VM hostname

Virtual Machine backup =File level snapshot using VCB

Transfer type= Try SAN then nbd

Virtual machine quiesce= Enabled

Exclude unused and deleted blocks =Enabled

Existing snapshot handling=Enabled

Monolithic export (VCB)=Enabled

Attributes

Synthetic backup is checked

Clients have a few VM listed (for test purpose)

Backup Selections

All Local Drives

Once I hit OK it begins to validate the snapshots and returns the aforementioned error

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

as what you would 'normally' use for your VM backups but just tweaked slightly?

Only thing I could find was the following T/N which took me back a fair few years when we first played with VCB backups before giving up & installing the client on each VM guest!

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH54764

(deals with NB6.5 & ESX3.0 !!) - what's your environment composed of?

Currently, we only use synthetics for physical *nix flavours so in that regard could personally only advise on the generalities of such a policy.

kdwbragg
Level 3
Certified

Andy

Not really, my VMware policies are Flash Backup windows

watsons
Level 6

If your policy type is Flashbackup, synthetic backup is not supported - as stated in admin guide.

Please check this out:

http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/netbackup-7-create-synthetic-fulls-vmware-flashbackup-windows-policy