cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

system state backups

Tim_Wilkinson
Level 4
Hi,

I'm pretty new to Netbackup so please have a bit of patience (initially, anyway) :)

I've got a few questions about System_State backups:
- Does system_state include DHCP and DNS information? For Active Directory environment, the DNS will probably be integrated into AD but I'm not sure about DHCP. On our other network, we don't use AD so we'll need to backup DNS and DHCP manually; how's this done best?
- The Windows2003 directive category doesn't have a system_state directive, but Windows 2000 category does; does it matter which directive category you pick it from for specific OS?
- I did a system_state backup of a Windows Server 2003 computer but when looking at the backed up information through Backup/Archive/Restore GUI, AD is reporting the file as being size 0; surely this can't be right?

Cheers,

Timbo
9 REPLIES 9

Derek_Black_2
Level 3
Hi Timbo!
FYI,
If you're using 2003, the Volume Shadow Copy replaces the Win2000 system_state directive in 5.1. Don't know which version you're running. The items backed up in this include:

System State writers, which can include:
System Files
COM+ Class Registration Database
SYSVOL
Active Directory
Cluster Quorum
Certificate Services
Registry
Internet Information Services

System Service writers, which can include:
Removable Storage Manager
Event Logs
Windows Internet Name Service
Windows Management Instrumentation
Remote Storage
Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol
Terminal Server Licensing
Background Intelligent Transfer Service
User Data writers, which includes items that are not required by the machine to operate. For example, Active Directory Application Mode.

Hope this helps.

Stefan_Schmid_2
Level 4
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/273382.htm

Tim_Wilkinson
Level 4
Derek,

Thanks for your response; it answers alot of what I need to know.
Do you know how to backup DHCP in Server 2000 (perhaps the system_state does that but I'm unsure by what I've read)?

Cheers,

Timbo

Tim_Wilkinson
Level 4
Thanks Stefan - a very useful document! That would have been quite a 'gotcha'!

Derek_Black_2
Level 3
The system_state for 2000 should do this.

Glenda_Mojica_2
Level 4
Stefan

Thanks for the link you gave. It was very useful.

Colin_North
Level 6
Hi Derek,
I saw your post ref System State backups and had a question relating to this.

I am using NBU5.0 MP4 Ent Svr and backing up an Exchange 2003 server with Windows 2003 server OS, and back up the system state. Do you know if this backup includes the IIS Metabase? Your reply states that it backs up IIS, so I assume that includes the metabase?

Colin.

Ankur_Kumar
Level 5
Hi Colin,
It does backup the IIS as per Veritas

NetBackup Enterprise Server 5.1 added a new feature for Windows 2003, a Directive Set for Windows2003 and Windows2000. The Directive Set for Windows 2003 clients is available in the MS-Windows-NT policy and contains the directive for Shadow Copy Components:\. (Figure 1).

As defined by NetBackup System Administration Guide Volume 1:

This directive affects Windows 2003 Server computers that use the Volume Shadow Copy components.
The Shadow Copy Components:\ directive specifies that all of the Volume Shadow Copy component writers get backed up.
Selecting this directive insures that all of the necessary components be backed up.

The Volume Shadow Copy components include the following:

System State writers, which can include:
System Files
COM+ Class Registration Database
SYSVOL
Active Directory
Cluster Quorum
Certificate Services
Registry

Internet Information Services

System Service writers, which can include:
Removable Storage Manager
Event Logs
Windows Internet Name Service
Windows Management Instrumentation
Remote Storage
Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol
Terminal Server Licensing
Background Intelligent Transfer Service
User Data writers, which includes items that are not required by the machine to operate. For example, Active Directory Application Mode.
Other Data writers, a category intended for future NetBackup releases.

Notes:

The Shadow Copy Components:\ directive replaces the System_State:\ directive for Windows 2003 backup.
Shadow Copy Components:\ does not contain an underscore (_) as does System_State:\.
Shadow Copy Components:\ is case sensitive.

All Windows 2003 Servers recognize the System_State:\ directive and behave as if following the Shadow Copy Components:\ directive.
A message in the bpbkar log file informs the user that this directive translation has occurred.
Example: bpbkar log

2:11:15.906 PM: <4> dos_backup::V_VerifyFileSystem: INF - Removed: System_State:\
2:11:15.906 PM: <4> dos_backup::V_VerifyFileSystem: INF - Added: Shadow Copy Components:

The directive translation applies to all Windows 2003 clients when Backup Selections specify a System State:\ or the ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES directive.

Example: A MS-Windows-NT policy is configured with both Windows 2000 and Windows 2003 clients. The file list contains the System_State:\ directive.
In this example, the Windows 2000 client performs a System_State:\ backup, the Windows 2003 client performs a Shadow Copy Components:\ backup.

Please note, however, that the reverse is not true for directive translation.
A Windows 2000 client backup will fail with a Status Code 71 (none of the files in the file list exist) when the Backup Selections are set to Shadow Copy Components:\.

Therefore, the best practice when combining Windows 2000 and Windows 2003 clients in the same Policy is to use the System_State:\ or ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES directive. It is redundant to include ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES and/or System_State:\ and/or Shadow Copy Components:\. Please Note: As a best practice guideline, VERITAS recommends one setting and not two or three in any combination.

Figure 1

For complete details on Shadow Copy Components please refer to the VERITAS NetBackup (tm) 5.1 System Administrator's Guide for Windows, Volume I.

Chiao
Ankur Kumar

Colin_North
Level 6
Ankur,
Thanks for the info, that's exactly what I wanted.

Colin.