cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tape not accessible after moving to robot from standalone

kingbobyjr
Level 3

Hi all, 

I'm getting the dreaded 96 error message, storage unit has none available.  It does indeed have none for the volume pool the backup job ios running.  I do have available tapes in standalone.

I move the tape from standalone to tld (via gui) but its never accesible.  I see the job trying to access it but it always errors out.  I have tried to update the inventory but it always wsants to send the tape back to standalone.

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@kingbobyjr 

Standalone means that the tape is not physically in the robot. 
It is stored 'somewhere safe' - sometimes offsite at a warehouse.

Someone needs to know where exactly this tape (and other standalone tapes) are stored, and then physically put it in the robot. There is no other way to get tapes moved from standalone to robotic. 

So, if you don't have physicall access and cannot go onsite, there is no way that the tapes can get back into the library. 

Now more than ever we see how tape is becoming obsolete, and that customers need appropriate disk storage that is always available, always online...

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Without a detailed show/dump of exact configuration then the root cause could be one or more of many reasons.

Is this a new build?  Has it ever worked?  What changed recently?  Are the problem tapes new tapes?

Can you describe your config in more detail?

If I asked you for the output from "tpautoconf -report_disc" would you know how to capture that?

This is an old build that I am trying to maintain as they got rid of the person who know Netbackup.

I have never tried to move a tape from Standalone to LTD before...so no idea if it has ever worked.  The tapes are not new.  Nothing changed in the enviorment.  When I move the tape from standalone to LTD and then run Compare Contents for TLD(0) with volume config, the tape in questions shows what I have attached.  If I try to Update volume conifg, it wants to send it back to Standalone.

I ran tpautoconf -report_disc and there wasn't any output...I also tried to capture the output to a txt file but it was empty.

What kind of deatils would you like about our enviorment?

The tape in question is A00171L4 is slot 82...forgot to mention that in the screenshot I included.

sclind
   VIP   

Have you tried an "Inventory Robot"?  Sometimes my system just gets confused and an inventory/update volume config gets it all straighted out.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

The label may have fallen off the tape - I have seen that happen.

What does robtest show for slot 82?

BTW, an empty response from "tpautoconf -report_disc" is a good thing.  The command instructs NetBackup to perform a "report config discrepency", i.e. gather a SCSI/SAS/FC device scan and compare that with the configuration of NetBackup.  If nothing is different, then there is no discrepency, and so nothing to report from "tpautoconf -report_disc".

Marianne

@kingbobyjr 

You should not really use the NetBackup GUI. 

The GUI does a 'logical' update without physically moving the tape. 

Did you open the robot door to physically put the tape in slot 82? 
The screenshot that you posted shows 'No' in the 1st column. Seems the robot believes that the slot is empty? 

As per @sclind , you need to Inventory the robot in the GUI so that NBU updates the logical config with the robot's physical config. 

Please bear with me as I know very little of Netbackup as I was thrust into this position due to a layoff.  To make matters worse, I'm trying to do all of this from home as the office ie closed due to Coivd-19.

When I ran the Robot Inventory Update volume config, the changes it proposes it to move the tape, A00171, back to Standalone residence....which it does.  At that point the tape is back in standalond and there is nothing in slot 82.

I then run Update volume config again, making sure previews changes is checked and empty media access port prior to update is unchecked...and it says volume config is up to date.

How does one move tapes from standalone to the tld for use?  I assumed using the move option when right clicking on a tape.

Marianne

@kingbobyjr 

Standalone means that the tape is not physically in the robot. 
It is stored 'somewhere safe' - sometimes offsite at a warehouse.

Someone needs to know where exactly this tape (and other standalone tapes) are stored, and then physically put it in the robot. There is no other way to get tapes moved from standalone to robotic. 

So, if you don't have physicall access and cannot go onsite, there is no way that the tapes can get back into the library. 

Now more than ever we see how tape is becoming obsolete, and that customers need appropriate disk storage that is always available, always online...

Ok...now that makes perfect sense. 

Standalone in our case is Iron Mountain...and sure enough I logged into our Iron Mountain portal and the tape is there...off-site.

I need to get them to come out, deliver tapes, load them to the robot, and then they will be accessible and the jobs will conintue to run and not fail out due to no media in the robot for the particular job/volume pools.

I see we have a bunch of tapes designated scratch for the volume pool, am I correct in thinking if they get inserted into the robot, they can be used for ANY backup job in which there isn't an appropriate tape with the volume pool in the robot?

And one more question, tapes that have a media status as full in the robot, they should be ejected?

Thanks for all of your help....

Marianne

Hi @kingbobyjr 

Yes, Scratch tapes can be used for any backup. 

Not sure what the process is in your company w.r.t. tapes being ejected - some people eject every day, others eject once a week, while others only eject full tapes. 

If you are short on space in the library, you can eject the full tapes, but someone needs to be onsite to remove the tapes from the library CAP/MAP.