Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

three way backups using NDMP

hamzafayyaz1983
Level 4

Hi,

I have installed netbackup client on a linux machine for e.g A
I have installed netbackup server, ndmp on a solaris machine for e.g B
I have directly connected the tape library with the san controller (san is also ndmp enabled).
I have mounted the san`s  FCP share on machine A (client).

Now Do I have to install the NDMP Agent on the linux client machine A or is it already NDMP enabled during the netbackup client installation.

Thanx,
Hamza

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Deepak_W
Level 6
Partner Accredited
You can install and add NBU client and add your linux machine, provided you have NBU clients  lic available.

Secondly you will be able to use the TL which is connected directly to SAN filer and not to the master server.

You can use the TL which is connected to master server for backing up NBU clients on the network.

You can refer to the Page number 15, in the NBU NDMP Admin Guide for supported NDMP topologies.

For your information 3 Ways NDMP refers to the backing up NDMP device using the TL connected to another NDMP device.

3 way NDMP does not mean to backup non-NDMP device using TL connected to NDMP device.

Hope this helps and clarifies.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

quebek
   VIP    Certified
there is written:
"NDMP three-way backup
The NetBackup for NDMP server initiates the backup. Data travels over the network in the following manner: from an NDMP host to a storage device that is attached to another NDMP host on the local network or available on a SAN."
Are you really trying to implement three way NDMP backup??
Please review this doc - NDMP Administrator's Guide for UNIX, Linux, and Windows (  http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/290205.htm )
and rephase your question.
Or am I missing something??!!

Android
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
The NDMP host ( the machine that writes the NDMP data) must be a NetBackup master or media server.  It cannot be a client.  Unless I'm misunderstand your configuration, you will need to make your master an NDMP host and use it to backup your NDMP device.

Girish_N_
Level 3
Partner Accredited

I would suggest you to use NDMP local Backup method.
Reconfigure the zoning in such a way that your NDMP host can see the Storage device, use the Device configuration wizard to configure tape library.

Girish_N_
Level 3
Partner Accredited

I would suggest you to use NDMP local Backup method.
Reconfigure the zoning in such a way that your NDMP host can see the Storage device, use the Device configuration wizard to configure tape library.

hamzafayyaz1983
Level 4

My Netbackup server is ndmp enabled. It is going to initiate the backup process.
My netbackup server is connected with my san filer which is also ndmp enabled.
My Netbackup server is connected with my netbackup non-ndmp client machine.
My netbackup server, san filer and netbackup  client are on the same vlan.

I have a san fcp share /vol_fcp_01 which is mounted on my netbackup client linux machine on the following mount point  /mail_backup.

I have added the san filer as an ndmp client on my netbackup server.

I dont want to take the backup of the fcp share /vol_fcp_01 DIRECTLY which is block level. ( I can take this backup and have successfully done so)

but

I want to take the backup of  the mount point /mail_backup.

Thanx,
Hamza

quebek
   VIP    Certified
You can achive this. On NBU server create policy of standard type, check the "follow NFS" checkbox, on client tab enter this linux hostname, on backup selection list put /mail_backup.
That should be all if I understood correctly your intentions ;D

Deepak_W
Level 6
Partner Accredited
@hamzafayyaz1983

1. NDMP backup is used for backing up the NAS devices (CIFS, NFS).

2. If you want to backup the LUN which is mapped to any of the host (in you example linux machine) then you have to backup that LUN from the host using NBU client.

3. You are saying that TL is attached to storage. In this case if you use NDMP backup then it will be local NDMP. This will way faster than other NDMP backups as storage will dump the data to TL which is connected to him. You will also get benifit in terms of LAN utilization as data is not flowing over LAN (LAN Free backup)

4. You cannot use the TL which is directly connected to storage for backing up the clients conncted to network. This TL will be only used by your storage.

In your case if you want to backup the LUN which is mapped to linux server, then connect that TL to your master server and backup the linux server using NBU client. This will be LAN based backup.

If the data size is higher and you want to avoid blocking your LAN then you can use the SSO and Enterprise client licenses to backup the linux server over the FC. For achieving this you will need to have SAN infrastructure in place and will need to share the same TL to master and media server using FC SW zoning.

Hope this clarifies the queries and helps you.

Do let me know if I have missed something.

hamzafayyaz1983
Level 4

HI,

I have mapped the lun on the linux client machine.
The size of the lun is about 525 GB.
I have formatted the lun and gave it ext3 file system and have given it the mount point /mail_backup on linux client machine
My actual mail data on this mount point /mail_backup is about 250 GB.

My storage unit is defined as NDMP not as Media Manager on netbackup server.

Now My linux client machine is non-ndmp based client machine.

Remember i have already added san filer as a client on my netbackup server for direct san shares backups.

Should i be adding my linux client machine as a client on the netbackup server and then taking backup of the linuc machine mount point /mail_backup from the netbackup server.

thanx,
hamza

Deepak_W
Level 6
Partner Accredited
You can install and add NBU client and add your linux machine, provided you have NBU clients  lic available.

Secondly you will be able to use the TL which is connected directly to SAN filer and not to the master server.

You can use the TL which is connected to master server for backing up NBU clients on the network.

You can refer to the Page number 15, in the NBU NDMP Admin Guide for supported NDMP topologies.

For your information 3 Ways NDMP refers to the backing up NDMP device using the TL connected to another NDMP device.

3 way NDMP does not mean to backup non-NDMP device using TL connected to NDMP device.

Hope this helps and clarifies.