Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

to change damaged tape in tape-libraray

venu_netbackup0
Level 4

i am new to this domain....how to change the damaged tape in tape-lib

i think answer is vmchange -pn<pool-number> -m<media-id>

is this answer correct or not....

iif not please assists me ...on console what the procedure will be.to change tape on tape-lib

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

If the media is bad (not usable) you can take it out of the library. There is no need to change it.

From NetBackup you can select the media and choose eject. Then go to the library and remove it from the import/outport slot.

Next you should expire the images on that media so NetBackup understand that the backup images are no longer available.

You can do that by running

bpexpdate -m MEDIAID -d 0

View solution in original post

Will_Restore
Level 6

Right, after expiring the irrecoverable images, we also do the vmchange -p ..., so if somebody says "Hey, what happened to tape 123456? We can check and reply, 'it's in the BAD_TAPE pool'

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

RiaanBadenhorst

Hello,

If the media is bad (not usable) you can take it out of the library. There is no need to change it.

From NetBackup you can select the media and choose eject. Then go to the library and remove it from the import/outport slot.

Next you should expire the images on that media so NetBackup understand that the backup images are no longer available.

You can do that by running

bpexpdate -m MEDIAID -d 0

Will_Restore
Level 6

Right, after expiring the irrecoverable images, we also do the vmchange -p ..., so if somebody says "Hey, what happened to tape 123456? We can check and reply, 'it's in the BAD_TAPE pool'

RiaanBadenhorst

Nice tip Will. You clearly have more DataCenter experience :)

One would need to make sure someone doesn't put the bad tape back and it starts all over.

Genericus
   VIP   

I make three changes: description, pool and group

I have to account for all my tapes so I always update the description to indicate the issue, even if it is just "destroyed on YYMMDD" or "bad leader pin" or "cracked case".

I add it to a volume pool called Destroyed, then move to a volume group Destroyed. This allows me to account for not just what it is, but where it is.

Agree with Will, I have to be able to confirm that there are no "missing tapes"!

I have had tapes with physical issues, that were marked bad in description, but the data on the tape could be important, I had to wait for it to expire before I could make the pool and group changes. I check my incoming scratch tapes for descriptions NOT "Added by Media Manager" to catch these bad tapes. 

I mark tapes "F1" if they freeze, even if I think it may not be the tape issue, so I can relabel then on return, so I have a few of these out at iron mountain.

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS

venu_netbackup0
Level 4

thank you very much..to all

venu_netbackup0
Level 4

hi..i need some information..for my knowledge..

if i use the  nbu 7.5 version /windows 2012 server/stk sl8500

so which model of data domain supports

which model of disk library supports/ about vault version/ about ndmp version/about version of disk library

so i need a information ..which model supports  to the nbu version 7.5 .

Need assistance regarding this please

venu_netbackup0
Level 4

thank you very much

RiaanBadenhorst

Master Compaibility list for NetBackup https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH59978.html

Marianne
Level 6

New topic should go in a new forum discussion, please....

Riaan has answered, but plese remember for next time. 

Thanks!

venu_netbackup0
Level 4

thank you very much...