Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

to move existing NBU 7.7.3 to new hardware

mad_about_you
Level 4

existing master/media server on RHEL 6.3, NBU 7.7.3

target OS is solaris 11.

i've checked SORT and the target OS for the master/media server is supported. my question is how do i transfer the catalog? can i just do an rsync after NBU is installed in solaris?

will it be readily usable or would need some tuning?

at the end of the day, we should be able to still do restores of previous backup jobs done from the Redhat installation.

20 REPLIES 20

@Marianne wrote:

@mad_about_you 

You cannot mount XFS filesystem on Solaris. 

If you had Veritas Infoscale Storage, you would be able to. 
Infoscale uses the same volume manager (VxVM) and same filesystem (VxFS) on all supported OS's. The Cross-Platform Data Sharing (CDS) feature makes it possible to 'port' volumes between OS's.

@mad_about_you wrote:

initially, i have a 9TB msdp(?) partition where backup images are written during backup prior to deduplication. it's on xfs. the way this whole server was configured doesn't allow me to expand the 9TB so i replaced it with a larger one but still on xfs.

You are misunderstanding the whole concept of MSDP. There is no such thing as 'backups are written prior to deduplication'. MSDP does inline dedupe. (I have previously referred you to the NBU Dedupe manual)

maybe if i describe how my nbu server is configured that would clear things up.

i have a single server that is master and media.

in the server, i have two partitions, one for the OS and where NBU is installed. it's on ext3 filesystem.

the second partition, the 14TB, is on xfs filesystem. let's call this NBU_DSU

everytime a backup policy runs, NBU_DSU available space decreases. now when a deduplication process starts and finishes, the available space in NBU_DSU increases.

that tells me that NBU_DSU is being used during backup as a temporary place and it is also used to read from during deduplication to tape.

here is a snapshot from the management console attached.pd.PNG

what is it called or the correct term to use?