cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tpautoconf Failed opening the device mappings file

Level 4

Hi, 

I am new to Netbackup Environment. Please help & sorted out the Issue.

Netbackup is on cluster environment. In the seconday node when I am checking with tpconfig -d & tpconfig -l. Gertting no output.

netback1# tpautoconf
Failed opening the device mappings file

Please suggest.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

davidmoline
Level 6
Employee

Hi @114 

This is not unexpected. In clustered mode NetBackup operates as active and standby. There are various directories that are configured to follow the active node. The catalog is the primary one, but also included is the var/global directory which among other things contains the device_mapping.txt file. 

It is more usual and better practice to run (most of) the commands from the active node as the standby node will be missing important items.

Cheers
David

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

davidmoline
Level 6
Employee

Hi @114 

This is not unexpected. In clustered mode NetBackup operates as active and standby. There are various directories that are configured to follow the active node. The catalog is the primary one, but also included is the var/global directory which among other things contains the device_mapping.txt file. 

It is more usual and better practice to run (most of) the commands from the active node as the standby node will be missing important items.

Cheers
David

Hi David,

A planned switch over activity in recent time.

Should we  need to logged the case with Veritas OEM or with IBM? What should be the POA... can you suggest.

davidmoline
Level 6
Employee

HI @114 

You don't mention whether you are using VCS or PowerHA for the clustering. Either which way, you should not need to open a case to fail over to the standby node. This should be a relatively normal part of operations. I would suggest you  do have someone on hand that understands the clustering technology in use (and have the support details handy just in case - especially if you have not done this often).

As an aside, you indicate (in the tags) you are running on AIX and 8.1.2 - this is not a supported configuration (AIX server support finished with 8.1.1). If you are running your master server on AIX, then I would suggest to start planning for how you will migrate away from this platform (to allow you to upgrade). The clustering of the master server will complicate anything you want to do, so better to commence thinking about this now. I would suggest calling your local Veritas account team to help provide some possible solutions. 

Cheers
David

Hi David,

Thank you for your kind words. I forgot to mention we are using PowerHA for the clustering.

Are there any prerequisites on the environment?

Thank you so much!

davidmoline
Level 6
Employee

Hi @114 

I'm not really sure what you are asking. Yes there are prerequisites - of course.

If you are talking about the current environment, go with the assumptioon that whoever set this up probably new what they were doing and so failing over should just work. 

David