cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

troubleshooting doubts NBU

shashi0621
Level 5

Hi ALL,

I have below queries about this Fantastic Netbackup TOOL.(I love it )!!!

1../etc/nsswitch command  is for linux.What exact command is for windows and solaris?

2..i have a entry in host file 10.1.23.12. for client nbu-bur1 but it is not pinging.I have the entry for same client in DNS with different ip which is pinging.NBU backup will run in this case by picking the pingable ip in DNS?

3..When i am installing a solaris master server,I know client software of NBU solaris will also be installed.Now i have to push NBU client software from this solaris Master server to Linux client.I have to install linux client software on master server and then push or ALL client flavours os are installed by default on unixmaster server installation?

4...what this bpclntcmd -sv do?

5....for DNS query we run nslookup command.

For host file query  we run bpclntcmd command??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

The 1st 2 questions are OS-related queries, NOT NetBackup... Please stick to NBU queries in this forum?
There are enough OS forums where you can ask OS type questions.

1) ../etc/nsswitch  is not a command - it is a config file: ../etc/nsswitch.conf.
If you Google it, or even look on your Solaris server, you will see that it has the same file. When you Google, you will find the purpose of the file, which will answer your second question.
Windows does not have a config file. Network config is done via Control Panel -> Adapter settings and is stored in the Registry. Speak to your Windows Admin for better unerstanding...

2) See above.
nsswitch.conf is probably configured for DNS lookup.

3) Only own client binaries are installed by default. You need to install client binaries for other Unix/Linux OS separately. Information in NBU Installation Guide under this topic:
Adding a UNIX client after initial server installation

4) Look up bpclntcmd in NetBackup Commands Reference Guide http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC5182 

5. No. bpclntcmd will use whatever lookup method the OS is using. See: 1) and 2)

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Marianne
Level 6

The 1st 2 questions are OS-related queries, NOT NetBackup... Please stick to NBU queries in this forum?
There are enough OS forums where you can ask OS type questions.

1) ../etc/nsswitch  is not a command - it is a config file: ../etc/nsswitch.conf.
If you Google it, or even look on your Solaris server, you will see that it has the same file. When you Google, you will find the purpose of the file, which will answer your second question.
Windows does not have a config file. Network config is done via Control Panel -> Adapter settings and is stored in the Registry. Speak to your Windows Admin for better unerstanding...

2) See above.
nsswitch.conf is probably configured for DNS lookup.

3) Only own client binaries are installed by default. You need to install client binaries for other Unix/Linux OS separately. Information in NBU Installation Guide under this topic:
Adding a UNIX client after initial server installation

4) Look up bpclntcmd in NetBackup Commands Reference Guide http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC5182 

5. No. bpclntcmd will use whatever lookup method the OS is using. See: 1) and 2)

shashi0621
Level 5

THanks Mam.

1..I have found the ans.

2..It is not clear.googled also.

a.....

AS you say,nsswitch.conf is probably configured for DNS lookup. what if this file has below entry.

/etc/nsswitch has entry:

hosts: files dns

it will goes for host file first and then DNS. (Host file first and then dns)???? or it will go for host file and if ip is nt pingable ,backup will fail?

3,4,5 is clear.

Marianne
Level 6

hosts: files dns

it will goes for host file first and then DNS. (Host file first and then dns)????

Correct. So, if IP in hosts file is wrong, backup will fail.
bpclntcmd -hn <client-name> will use the OS method to resolve via hosts file.

if ip is nt pingable ,backup will fail?

When there is not route between the IPs, yes. But I have seen environments where ping was disabled in firewall rules.
NBU does not try to ping. It tries to connect to TCP port. Use bptestbpcd to test port connectivity.

shashi0621
Level 5

thanks Marianne.

My issue is if i have a wrong  ip entry on host file and correct ip entry on DNS.

and /etc/nsswitch file has entry like:

hosts:file dns.

so if it picks host file first (as per the entry)    and     it picks wrong ip and backup fails.SO it wont go to DNS to pick the correct ip?

Marianne
Level 6

Correct. I think I have said that in my previous posts?

Not sure why you need to make an issue of this.
If IP in /etc/hosts is wrong, delete the entry and rely on DNS.
Or fix the /etc/hosts entry....

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

No, if it finds an entry in /etc/hosts the OS will not carry out any further checks.

The nsswitch.conf is the order in which the OS will look for hosts etc - it will check in 'files' first for an entry, if there's one there it will use that. If there isn't an entry in 'files' (i.e. /etc/hosts) only then will it check DNS.

So if the entry is wrong in /etc/hosts it will fail.

(Edit: Sorry M - thought you might've been busy!!)

shashi0621
Level 5

Thanks Andy and Marianne for your time and thots !!!!!Higjly appreciated .