cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ubuntu 12.0.4 NBU Client Install

SYMAJ
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I am attempting to install the Netbackup 7.5 client software onto an Ubuntu 12.0.4 server, and after reading through the TECH176428 am still having no success.

The above technote details the required editing of the client_config & installpbx scripts - although these are (I believe) for NBU 7.1 - as when I examine the scripts I see the following:

1. The client_config script does contain all the noted lines for change but these are not at the same line numbers as stated in the tech note (I fudged through an found the lines which are in and around the quoted line numbers - and changed them)

2. The installpbx appears to already have the changes reflected within it (maybe this was changed before 7.5 was released)

Either way, I editied the client_config and copied the resulting file to all the LINUX and LINUX_IA64 subdirectories - then retried the install.  I still get the same error:

Client binaries are located in /home/qp9qh1/Downloads/Netbackup/NetBackup_7.5_CLIENTS/NBClients/anb/Clients/usr/openv/netbackup/client/Linux/Debian2.6.18.

Detected an attempt to install incorrect platform and/or operating system and version client binaries on production-app-server.

Does anyone have the corrected scripts which they have run successfully, and are willing to share them ?  As noted above, I am trying to install 7.5 onto an Ubuntu 12.0.4 server - following which I will install the 7.5.0.4 update.

Many Thanks,

AJ

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Is it possible you're trying this on a 32 bit server where it wouldn't be supported?

(Show us uname -a output?)

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Don't think editing of scripts are required

According to the compability matrix 

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH76648

Page 11 - Ubuntu is supported using the 7.5 client. No word of editing scripts.

Use Linux,Debian2.6.18  (page 54) as client/hardware selection in the policy.

SYMAJ
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Nicolai,

After reading the Technote 176428, and reviewing the scripts, I did try first without editing the scripts.  I got the failure.  So next I did edit the script (client_config) - but am still getting same failure.

I am using the Debian 2.6.18 selection.

Any other ideas ??

AJ

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Is it possible you're trying this on a 32 bit server where it wouldn't be supported?

(Show us uname -a output?)

SYMAJ
Level 6
Partner Accredited

OK - here you go, the output from a uname -a:

Linux production-app-server 3.8.0-38-generic #56~precise1-Ubuntu SMP Thu Mar 13 16:23:47 UTC 2014 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Thanks,

AJ

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Linux production-app-server 3.8.0-38-generic #56~precise1-Ubuntu SMP Thu Mar 13 16:23:47 UTC 2014 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

seems to be 32-bit OS....

Similar post over here:
 https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/netbackup-client-agent-installation-32-bit-arch

SYMAJ
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Thanks Marianne.

If I choose to go down the 6.5 route I am assuming I will need to revisit the editing of the install scripts prior to installing ?

AJ

SYMAJ
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Just some additional info regarding the 32bit / 64bit discovery.  rather than the 'uname -a' command I found if you use 'file /sbin/init' you get a much more user-friendly response stating either 32bit or 64bit.  The resonse on my system was as follows:

/sbin/init: ELF 32-bit LSB shared object, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.24, BuildID[sha1]=0x07075fcb55b05aeb6286efabba63534fa6ecd213, stripped

AJ

Marianne

I see that http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH176428  lists NBU version as 7.0.

So, you may need to check NBU 6.5 OS CL to see if Ubuntu 12.0.4 is supported.
Oops... seems not: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH70729

Is there no way you can convince the customer to upgrade/migrate to supported 64-bit OS?

SYMAJ
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Marianne,

This is confusing.....

The 6.x compatibility list does not go as high as 12.0.4, so I take it from that that this will not work.  Also it states the highest level of 32bit Ubuntu OS as being 8.04.

The 7.x compatibility list shows 12.0.4 as being supported (64bit only) from 7.5 onwards.  No 32bit support is listed.

I totally agree with you that the best way forward is to upgrade to the 64bit version of the 12.0.4 OS, however the customer is adverse to this.

What are my options (if any) here ?

AJ

Marianne

Yes, Ubuntu 12.x is only supported as from NBU 7.5, but only with 64-bit OS.
No support for 12.x in NBU 6.x.

Show the client the 2 compatibility guides and let him make the choice.

Either client should upgrade to supported 64-bit OS or else NFS mount client filesystems on another supported client or media server.

Create a policy with 'Follow NFS' in policy attributes and backup mount points.

If this is a DB client, they can dump to local or NFS mount point and back that up as filesystem backup on supported OS.