cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unable to allocate new media for backup, storage unit has none available(96)

TrevorSalm
Level 4

I am a new netbackup admin and would like some insight as to why i have backups failing with status (96)...  I have 48 tapes inside my "Back-Ups" pool. Sorry there is not much information as i am still new to the troubleshooting process. Any help is greatly appreciated.

JOB DETAILS:

7/27/2016 2:15:06 AM - Info nbjm(pid=7550) starting backup job (jobid=118779) for client fas3140-2, policy Primus_MySQL_Home, schedule INC
7/27/2016 2:15:06 AM - Info nbjm(pid=7550) requesting STANDARD_RESOURCE resources from RB for backup job (jobid=118779, request id:{77EDE392-53C0-11E6-923C-BCECE00C5C61})
7/27/2016 2:15:06 AM - requesting resource dbcserver-hcart-robot-tld-0-fas3140-2
7/27/2016 2:15:06 AM - requesting resource dbcserver.NBU_CLIENT.MAXJOBS.fas3140-2
7/27/2016 2:15:06 AM - requesting resource dbcserver.NBU_POLICY.MAXJOBS.Primus_MySQL_Home
7/27/2016 2:15:06 AM - Error nbjm(pid=7550) NBU status: 96, EMM status: No media is available
unable to allocate new media for backup, storage unit has none available(96)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Have you seen all the posts under 'Related discussions'?
They are all meant to help you understand what to look for. Like running available_media command.
Are all of those tapes in robot 0? Have you checked that the density of those tapes are all hcart (to match tape drive and Storage Unit density)?
Are they Available? Not Full, Frozen, Suspended or maybe with hardware expiration date?

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Will_Restore
Level 6

In-depth Troubleshooting Guide for Exit Status Code 96

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000029805

Marianne
Level 6
Have you seen all the posts under 'Related discussions'?
They are all meant to help you understand what to look for. Like running available_media command.
Are all of those tapes in robot 0? Have you checked that the density of those tapes are all hcart (to match tape drive and Storage Unit density)?
Are they Available? Not Full, Frozen, Suspended or maybe with hardware expiration date?

Michal_Mikulik1

Hello,

I recommend you a NetBackup training. More effective than learning via many forum posts...

regards

Michal

Marianne -- Thank you for your post, I will be checking out those links ASAP!  The tapes are in robot 0 and they are all HCART.  Only one tape is frozen and I noticed that I have many tapes that are FULL. I will report back after I remove the full tapes from my library.

Thanks for your post Michal, I will be looking into taking these training courses.

Marianne
Level 6

You will need to replace the FULL tapes with new tapes or media where all images have expired.

You should not be required by an employer to manage a backup application and its media without proper guidelines or training.