Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unable to modify the policy

Debasishchoudhu
Level 3

Hi All 

Could any  help me  on this issue

i am unable to modify the policy , getting Error-:233 premature eof encountered

i can't change backup selection or any change schedule even i can't deactivate or delete the policy .

NBversion -: 6.5

Thanking in advance

Debashis

11 REPLIES 11

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Sounds like corruption or something missing in the policy structure.

All policies are a collection of files and folders under ../netbackup/db/class folder. If you compare the files/folders of the problematic policy with a working policy, you will probably find that there's something missing.

You should be able to delete the directory and all of it's contents. Best to close all GUI's first.

Debasishchoudhu
Level 3

it's not with one policy ,  it with all the policy in that master .

Marianne

Check for disk full condition on the master.

Have you checked that all Services/daemons are running? Maybe try to restart everything, including EMM.

Which OS on your master?

rookie11
   VIP   

marianne suggested disk full condition on the master -- but i do not agree with her on this if disk is full then it leads to backup failure bcoz NBU unable to write catalogs.

try this

stop all NBU services. reboot the server and have ur files system and disk checked by SA. then start all NBU services.

mrinal_sarkar62
Level 6

Hi ,

I gusess this may be the disk full error.

or

But as I see the errro(as mentained my marianne) which mostly confirm that the Catalog or EMM database got correpted.

Nothing to got serious now check the emm database consitancy check.

Follow the below link to check the consistancy check of the database:-

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/consistency-check-netbackup-emm-and-bmr-databases-usin...

If the database is not ok go to this links:-

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH126856

But above all as mentained by Rookie, check the disk status.

Thanks

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
What version of NetBackup are you using? tell us patch version. Did you make any changes on the host? I've experienced policy issue caused by placing a file under class directory(but, I can't remember the detail). Can you get whole policy information by "bppllist -allpolicies -l" and "bppllist -allpolicies -L"? Or bppllist end with error?

mrinal_sarkar62
Level 6

Hi Debasis,

Any update for the policy not getting change.

If it is a very critical policy and need to change immediatly, one tip I can provide as follows;-

R-Click the policy -> select copy to new -> slight change the name of the policy ->  then change policy as required.

Thanks.

mahesh_unixadmi
Level 2

Hi I am using Netbackup 7.0.1.

some cases unfortunately click on Cancel All option and all the backup will aborted can we disable this option in Activity Monitor.

Please Some one can suggest me on this case....

Thanks & Regards

Mahesh

mahesh_unixadmi
Level 2

Hi I am using Netbackup 7.0.1.

some cases unfortunately click on Cancel All option and all the backup will aborted can we disable this option in Activity Monitor.

Please Some one can suggest me on this case....

Thanks & Regards

Mahesh

Marianne

I have moved your question to a new discussion:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/can-we-disable-cancel-all-option-activity-monitor

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Marianne is correct - the policies live under /usr/openv/netbackup/db/class

Without invesigation we cannot be sure, but need to start with he most likely cause, which will be something wrong with the directories.

Probably not best to copy an old policy by right clicking, if there is an issue - you just copy this across.

Is it possibly to try and create a new policy from scratch, just make one up, then, can you edit it ?

You can browse a catalog tape for a few days back (in the catalog section of the GUI) and you can set the type to NBU Catalog and browse it like any other backup, as opposed to a standard backup type for example.

Do not do a catalog restore.

but, you can recover the above directory to an alternate area (like /tmp ) and then stop NBU, mv the old class directory and copy in the recovered one.

As mentioned, I repeat, this is not a catalog recovery, it is just reestoreing the class dir from the catalog tape using the BAR GUI.

It could be the issue is more involved, but we need to investigate and eliminate this as a possible issue.

Martin