cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unable to resolve hostname no hostname alias added to pem name manager

Hamza_H
   VIP   

Hello,

We have a problem regarding decommissioned servers for which we have daily errors in Problems report on the master server.

The message is "unable to resolve hostname no hostname alias added to pem name manager".

Normally, this happens when a server is decommissioned but still in a backup policy.

But I can assure you that all those servers are not included in any of the existing policies.

we also checked the Client attributes on the master server's properties and checked with the bpclient command, those servers do not exist anymore.. but we still have those errors.

We applied all the proposed solutions (Technotes & vox), from cleaning policies to removing host cache directory on the master server (\var\host cache), to nbdb_unload.. and of course bpclntcmd _clear_host_cache & the restart of NetBackup services.. and nada..

for this topic : https://vox.veritas.com/t5/NetBackup/NBPEM-NetBackup-Policy-Execution-Manager-is-unable-to-resolve/m... ,we generated the DUMP (many .dat files), and as mentioned before by Marianne,  there is not a proper explanation of the solution, so if there is anyone who came across this problem and was able to resolve please show up :).

This happened when the upgrade to Netbackup 8.2 occurred.

Thanks;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hamza_H
   VIP   

Hello,

A little update to mark this as solved for other users.

The mentioned servers were in Deployment policies (not backup policies) so when we delete those from that particular policy, the errors disappeared.

Thanks again for your assistance.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@Hamza_H 

If the client name is found in nbdb_unload  output, then you need to log a call with Veritas Support. 

Removing anything from nbdb is not a DIY job.
Support needs to provide a sql script to remove orphaned entries. 

Hamza_H
   VIP   

Hello Marianne,

Thank you for your reply, 

I just discovered that these servers were backed up by a vmware policy, because in the .dat files I have these kind of messages : 

'33650','458237','VM_CLIENT','1573815694','POLICY_NAME','0','VM_CLIENT','VM_CLIENT','7892b4f-6862-b7f5-ca0a-b7a7f1017748','62009e8cd-0fc0-da72-1c6d-2bdffb966g4','VCENTER','DATASTORE_FS07','/Folder','/Folder/host/Cluster HA/Resources','/Folder/vm/Folder/','Cluster HA','VCENTER','','','','','','','VM_CLIENT','',''

and this VM doesn't exist anymore in the vCenter, nor the policy in netbackup..

Should I still contact veritas for the sql script?

thanks,

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@Hamza_H , Yes, only Veritas Support can assist with sql script. 

Hamza_H
   VIP   

Thank you for your reply,

I have logged a case with veritas requesting that sql script.

I will update this post with the result..

Hamza_H
   VIP   

Hello,

A little update to mark this as solved for other users.

The mentioned servers were in Deployment policies (not backup policies) so when we delete those from that particular policy, the errors disappeared.

Thanks again for your assistance.