cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unable to see oracle backup in restoration window

mubarack_s
Level 6
Hi ,

I am unable to see any backup in restoration windows while selecting oracle as policy type. Its throughing error 104.can any one know how to clear this?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
In all honesty, I've never done it myself. At our customers, the DBA's understand that RMAN is their responsibility. They simply tell the backup admins which tape numbers they need for restore...

Lets see what we can find in the manual...
p.117 & 118:
Running the NetBackup for Oracle recovery wizard on the client:
(This tells me it HAS to be run on the client)...
How the recovery wizard works
The recovery wizard saves a recovery template locally in a user-specified location on the NetBackup client. Recovery templates are not stored on the master server because recovery is always user directed, not scheduled.
The recovery process sometimes requires passwords for Oracle database access and system user accounts.
Since you must be connected to the database before you can access its tables or views, logon criteria must be provided. When a user selects or expands a database node the wizard first tries to logon to the database using OS authentication. If the authentication fails the user is solicited for a user name and password. Optionally, the user is prompted for the Net Service Name if the connection is through SQL-Net, which is then used to logon to the database. This user must have a sysdba privilege since the logon credentials that are also used to perform the RMAN restore. The logon fails if the database is not in a mount or open state.

To start the Backup, Archive, and Restore interface from the command line, run the following command:
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/jbpSA &

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Marianne
Browse/Restore options can be found in Nbu for Oracle Guide:

Browsing backups
This section describes procedures for browsing backup images.

Using the RMAN repository to browse backups
You can use the RMAN report and list commands to browse Oracle backups.
See “Maintaining the RMAN repository” on page 109.

Using bplist to browse backups
You can use the bplist command to browse Oracle backups. The command
returns a list of backup file names.

mubarack_s
Level 6
Hi ,

I have used the bplist command but it returns with the error 227.But daily backups are running succesfully.

jim_dalton
Level 6

Youve probably got your params wrong...happens all the time with my ora and sap admins.
Show us the command are you issuing, in entirety please.
Jim

Jesse_Hardy
Level 4
Certified

Have you tried to run the bpverify command.  bpverify -PD -client -policy then you can set your date.  Are you doing multiple copies?  You can try using a copy number or -cn.  bplist can be a pain at times at the end do you put a slash / if you leave that out I've seen it cause problems as well.

Marianne
I Agree with Jim - 227 means 'for the criteria that you have specified, not backups can be found'. Carefully look at your command:
(Example from manual)

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bplist -C jupiter -t 4 -R /

You can add -s <start_date> and -e <end_date> as well. Ensure client name is typed exactly as specified in backup policy (Case Sensitive...) and DON'T forget the "/" at the end.
(-s and -e : mm/dd/yyyy or mm/dd/yyyy HH:MM:SS )

xiazhen
Level 4
hi , guys:

what devices are you when you allcoate channel ?

if it is disk . you will not see it with bplist .   

it must be tape. 

best regards 

mubarack_s
Level 6
Hi All,

Sorry for the delay.I had entered the command wrongly.

I had entered the command without "/" at end.Due to this only I am unable to see the backup details.

Now I can see the backup details... But can I have a chance to see the backups using GUI. or can I have a chance to see these backups at client server java console? 

Marianne

This section can be seen in the same NBU for Oracle Guide (just below the bplist command):

Running the NetBackup for Oracle recovery wizard on the client
NetBackup for Oracle includes a recovery wizard that solicits information from the user about the desired RMAN restore and recovery operations. The wizard uses the information to create a template.

(more info on p.117 - 120)

mubarack_s
Level 6
Thank you let me check this and get back to you...

mubarack_s
Level 6
Thank you let me check this and get back to you...

mubarack_s
Level 6
Hi Marianne,

I am unable to see the oracle backups in the java administration console. I am login into the Database servers from Master backup server Java administation console. Is  it a problem? Am I need to run jnbSA directly on  database server only to view the backups details of oracle type

Marianne
In all honesty, I've never done it myself. At our customers, the DBA's understand that RMAN is their responsibility. They simply tell the backup admins which tape numbers they need for restore...

Lets see what we can find in the manual...
p.117 & 118:
Running the NetBackup for Oracle recovery wizard on the client:
(This tells me it HAS to be run on the client)...
How the recovery wizard works
The recovery wizard saves a recovery template locally in a user-specified location on the NetBackup client. Recovery templates are not stored on the master server because recovery is always user directed, not scheduled.
The recovery process sometimes requires passwords for Oracle database access and system user accounts.
Since you must be connected to the database before you can access its tables or views, logon criteria must be provided. When a user selects or expands a database node the wizard first tries to logon to the database using OS authentication. If the authentication fails the user is solicited for a user name and password. Optionally, the user is prompted for the Net Service Name if the connection is through SQL-Net, which is then used to logon to the database. This user must have a sysdba privilege since the logon credentials that are also used to perform the RMAN restore. The logon fails if the database is not in a mount or open state.

To start the Backup, Archive, and Restore interface from the command line, run the following command:
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/jbpSA &

rj_nbu
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi ,

Netbackup for oracle reads the /etc/oratab file to determine the name of the instance to connect to. You should open the java console a.k.a. BAR GUI on the oracle server

Oracle restore is done in steps , it is not like a file system restore .

First you need to put the database in nomount state, and restore the controlfile. Then mount the database, and then you can continue the restore of the datafiles (from the GUI also). Be advised that you cannot restore the archivelogs or do a PIT restore through the GUI

DOCUMENTATION: Can the NetBackup Oracle Wizard be used to restore only archive log files?
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/284148.htm