cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unable to successfully enumerate folder: Microsoft Exchange Public Folders:

Ericx22x
Level 4

I am trying to backup public folders on exchange 2007 and im getting this message: "unable to successfully enumerate folder: Microsoft Exchange Public Folders"

I am able to backup information store without a problem.

Thanks

17 REPLIES 17

Rick_Brown
Level 4

Hi, Just guessing here, but is this backup a differential? if it is, try doing a new full backup.

The message should go away.

Try this & see if it helps:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/276763.htm

Ericx22x
Level 4

I tried running a full backup and i get the same message.  Any other ideas? Keep in mind that my Information store backups are running fine.

Thanks

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

in netbackup (master server properties) is the client set up to use vSS or VSP.

I recently had the same enumerating error ( but not on exchange) and I was told to change the server from VSS to VSP, and my errors went away.

Can't say it will work for you, but is something you can look at or try.

marekkedzierski
Level 6
Partner

Did you set all accounts as described in documentation of Exchange agent ?

You can also try to add new owner (account used with exchange mailbox/public folders backup) to each folder. If you have huge number of public folders you can try tool called PFDAVAdmin.

marekk

Stefaan_M
Level 4
Partner
which version of Netbackup are you using?

Ericx22x
Level 4
Master server 6.5.1, Client 6.5.1.

Karthikeyan_Sun
Level 6
I think it should be becuase of some Permission Issues, Check Ur Client NetBackup Account whether it have rights on the Exchange Manager !

Amit_Karia
Level 6
disable Single Instance Store

Ericx22x
Level 4

disable single instance store on exchange side or netbackup?

I check the Netabackup client service and under "log on as" the "Local System account" is selected which has administrative permissions.  is this the problem? but I am able to backup the information exchange store, would this mean that there is no problems with permissions?

Ericx22x
Level 4

any ideas? anyone?

Ericx22x
Level 4

The permissions are set on every public folder as <AllExtendedRights>.  I tried to run a manual backup from the client using the "Backup,Archive and resote Netbackup client" and i can see the "Microsoft Exchange public folders" but when i click the + button there is nothing there.  Anyone has any suggestions how to solve this problem.

Thanks

schmaustech
Level 5

You need to run the Netbackup Client Service on the Exchange server with a user that has permissions to enumerate the public folders.  Information Store backups will work just fine using LOCAL_SYSTEM but mailbox and public folders will not.

The easiest way to test this is to log in as the user that the Netbackup Client Service is running as on the Exchange server and open Netackup Archive Restore and look under Backup and see if you can expand the public folders.  If you cannot the user does not have enough rights.

Regards,

Benjamin Schmaus

Seth_Bokelman
Level 5
Certified
How are you addressing the client?  I seem to recall an error like this the first time I backed up an Exchange box, because I was attempting to back it up using the FQDN rather than the NetBIOS name of the server...

Ericx22x
Level 4

I logged in as the netbackup client service and i cant expand the "Microsoft Exchange Public Folders", even though i have that account added to the local administrators group..anything else i should be looking at?

Thanks

schmaustech
Level 5

Ensure that the Netbackup Client Service account has the proper rights to expand the public folders and make sure you have installed the MAPI client from Microsoft.

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/292587.htm

Once you have done this, restart the Netbackup Client Service and log in as it again and check if you can now expand it in Netbackup Archive Restore.  Once you can expand it there, you will be able to back it up with your policy.

Regards,

Benjamin Schmaus

Gerald_W__Gitau
Level 6
Certified

Try using the directive Microsoft Information Store:\ instead of the Microsoft Public Folder.

dslam24
Level 4
https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/i-cant-backup-exchange-2007-its-return-status-9