cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unable to take backup of AIX client folder having around 949070 files.

Vinayak_Chennur
Level 4

i am trying to backup one AIX client server at flat level.

at one particular mount point there are around 949070 files in folder so flat file backup is not possible.

Moreover, Flash backup is also not possible because it is a JFS file system and Symantec only supports flashbackup on AIX with VXFS file system.

user is not ready to purged the data into different folders.

Can any one help me how i will be able to take the backup for this particular folder.

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
What makes you say that flat file backup is not possible? What happens when you try? How long does it take to use tar to backup to /dev/null? We normally suggest alternate methods when number of files are in the millions...

Vinayak_Chennur
Level 4
Hi Marianne, Backup get completes after 4 to 5 days the backup speed goes down ...when that particular folder is getting backup...

watsons
Level 6

So then you should troubleshoot why the speed goes down, and try to fix it. It may not necessary be the amount of inodes.

Go run that backup to /dev/null to see how the read I/O performs. 

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

One thing I have experienced on AIX is very bad backup performance when a file system need a check/fix

I would run fsck on the problematic mount point, do be aware it might require a dismount of the file system

Fragmentation can also be a problem, just does not crops up very often on UNIX systems, but in your case a defragfs might help

BTW what is the backing device for this mount point ?

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue