cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unable to write on the tape

mubarack_s
Level 6
Hi,

In our setup veritas netbackup came out of firewall last week.Due to this servers was  assigned with new hostname for a paricular interface for netbackup.I have changed that new names and new segment of IP's. I have reconfigured the srorage units and tape drives. Now if I give the backup Its unable to write on the tapes.I am getting the following error "The nbjm process was unable to get the required resources for a job. An EMM reason string that appears in the Activity Monitor job details display and in the nbjm debug log accompanies this status code. The EMM reason string identifies the reason for the failed resource request"

Help me to resolve it.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mubarack_s
Level 6
Hi ,

just I changed the hostname of my master server as old.Because " tpconfig -d" output shows robot was configured with old hostname of master server. But all the media server and clients hostname was with new hostname. Then I used the configure storage devices console and configured the tape drives with new hostname.created the new volume pools and assigned it to the backup policy. Thats all.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Changing of hostnames is not supported in NetBackup.
It was suggested to you last week that you totally de-install NBU and do a fresh install on Master and all media servers using the new hostnames.
Identify critical backups from current environment and import tapes in new environment.

mubarack_s
Level 6
Hi,

Thanx for ur reply.Now all servers are in production environment. I cant install it again. I dont have that much of previliage to install it again. can you suggest me any other solution?

mubarack_s
Level 6
Hi ,

How to change the robot control host to new hostname?

my robot control hosts remains in the old host name I think this is the problem.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
it was just robot control host I would suggest deleting & reconfiguring all your devices etc, but from the previous posts I have a feeling that the issues may well go much deeper than this.

Could be more than worthwhile getting Symantec involved..........

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
The ONLY supported solution is to get Symantec Consulting to do the change...

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/268696.htm

Note:  Do not change the host name of a NetBackup server.  This practice is not recommended because it can be necessary to import all previously used media to the server before you can use it under the new host name.

Changing or modifying any NetBackup server host names must be done with extreme care, whether they be Master Servers or Media Servers.

It is highly recommended that any NetBackup Server host name changes be done through Symantec's consulting services. This is due to issues such as the server host name being appended to the images in the catalog.  Simply changing the Master Server host name can cause restores to fail, connection problems with clients and having to import all media back into the catalog.

Changing or modifying the master host name is not supported by Technical Support without the assistance of a qualified Symantec Consultant on site.

Stumpr2
Level 6
Most participants in this forum are volunteers who already have full time jobs that are demanding of our time. The movement of an entire established NetBackup network to a private network involves a lot of steps with multiple dependencies. What you want to do can be done but there is a risk of losing data. For these two resons, time to assist and data loss possibility most of us are not willing to accept such responsibility. If you cannot get a do over then I highly suggest you follow Marianne's suggestion to get Symantec consulting engaged.

mubarack_s
Level 6
Hi,

I resolved the problem. I have reconfigured the tape drive and now its working fine. Thankyou all for your suggesstion.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
By deleting & recreating?

mubarack_s
Level 6
Hi ,

just I changed the hostname of my master server as old.Because " tpconfig -d" output shows robot was configured with old hostname of master server. But all the media server and clients hostname was with new hostname. Then I used the configure storage devices console and configured the tape drives with new hostname.created the new volume pools and assigned it to the backup policy. Thats all.