Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

understanding bpduplicate command

smith_jones
Level 6

Hi All,

I have some questions. Please help me understand them

When we use bpduplicate with the attribure -Bidfile file_name we mention the backup ids that need to be duplicated in the file "file_name".

We have 6 drives in the library.

Q. when we will run duplication with the BID file it will start 3 duplicates by using 6 drives and the rest duplicates with the backup ids mentioned in the BID file will remain in queue? right or wrong?

Q. Now when any of the duplicates fail then it will automatically run the next pending duplicate from the BID file?

And following the same concept it will complete all the duplicates for the backups mentioned in the BID file? Am I right or some other concept is also involved?
Also what about those failed duplicates. The command bpduplicate will rerun them or leave them as such and we will have to manually run them again using bpduplicate?

Q. How bpduplicate picks the backup ids from the BID file? In sequence up to down or how?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

If you want to run to duplication at a time , simply split up the bidfile in two.

If you reference the same bidfil the result can be unpredictable. bpduplicate may conclude there is already a copy or it may queue up for the same resource. 

Further more, it will be difficult to conclude if  the duplication is successful or not of you have multiple duplications going on.

If this part of normal work load, consider to use SLP.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Q1: bpduplicate will process the backup ID in the bidfile one at at time. If you want 3 concurrent duplication you must run 3 bpduplicate commands.

Q2: That pretend on the type of error. But usally it continue to the next backup ID id in the bid file.

Q3: Runnign bpduplicate is a manual intoroduced command. Nothing will re-run automatic. When you use Storage LifeCycle Policies (SLP), Netbackup has built-in re-try.

Q4: from top and downwards.

Please be aware that bpduplicate will delete the bidfile when done.

bpduplicate documentation

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO103809

smith_jones
Level 6

Hi Nicolai,

One more thing -

Let us assume this.

I made one BID file and backup ids mentioned in this from top to bottom as 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5.

I ran the bpduplicate command with the BID file. So it will take backup id 1 and start duplication of this.

As it takes only one backup id ata time others will not be duplicated untill the first one is completed either successfully or usual fails.

If I want to save time and want to run another duplicate of backup id 2 also then I will again run the bpduplicate command. Now if I mention the same BID file as the previous one in the bpduplicate command then what will happen -

1. It will automatically detect that backup id 1 is already being duplicated so it will start for backup id 2.

2. It will again start running backup id 1 and will become in queue as the read source tape is already in use.

And if option 2 is correct then what is the benefit of BID file when in all ways I have to manually run commands for each backup id to be duplicated.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

If you want to run to duplication at a time , simply split up the bidfile in two.

If you reference the same bidfil the result can be unpredictable. bpduplicate may conclude there is already a copy or it may queue up for the same resource. 

Further more, it will be difficult to conclude if  the duplication is successful or not of you have multiple duplications going on.

If this part of normal work load, consider to use SLP.

smith_jones
Level 6

Hi Nicolai,

I read an article of SLP ( Netbackup 7.5 Best Practice- Using Storage Lifecycle Policies). But it talks about the concepts, goods and bads and how to manage SLP using commands.
Can you please provide me the screeshots about how to configure SLP for duplication of a NDMP backup? Can you please provide me the practical part and meaning of the options mentioned?
How to automate my NDMP backup duplication, step by step guidance?

Thanks in advance.

smith_jones
Level 6

Hello Nicolai,

Please reply.

Thanks.

smith_jones
Level 6

Hi All,

Can someone reply?

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Have you tried NBU Admin Guide I?  

NetBackup Administrator's Guide for Windows, Volume I http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC5159 

Chapter 14: Configuring storage lifecycle policies 

Have a look at this Article: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/netbackup-76-blueprints-slp

You can also search  YouTube for videos.

smith_jones
Level 6

Hi Marianne,

Really helpful information. Thanks a lot for the docs.