cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unrecognized drive name

ibrahimbaba
Level 4
I couldn't up my paths as i had two paths and 1 drive so i reset the paths and 1 came up but the other refused so i restarted the server but when it came up the drive wouldn't start and all the paths where missing then the drive kept saying unrecognized drive name so i tried to add the drive but it cant find it on the server its a blade server so i don't know how to fix it please help
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ibrahimbaba
Level 4

Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to let you know the issue has been resolved here is how it went.

i opened a support case and while i was waiting i shutdown the tape library for about 10mins. By the time it came back on the support guy was able to run the scan cmd and subsequently the tpconfig -d cmd which was able to see and configure the drive. after which the configure storage devices wizard was used to add the library drive and paths on netbackup

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Are drives available from OS layer?

If OS recognizes it then only NBU can see it and report it.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/tape-drive-path-and-drive-down-issue#comment-8332981

ibrahimbaba
Level 4

the server is a blade server so it shares resources and the drive does not show up on the OS but how can i confirm

ibrahimbaba
Level 4

C:\Program Files\Veritas\Volmgr\bin>SCAN
*********************** SDT_TAPE    ************************
*********************** SDT_CHANGER ************************

C:\Program Files\Veritas\Volmgr\bin>TPCONFIG -d
Id  DriveName           Type   Residence
      SCSI coordinates/Path                                            Status
0   HP.ULTRIUM4-SCSI.000 hcart  TLD(0)  DRIVE=1
      MISSING_PATH:{2,0,0,0}:HU1109F9V7                                DOWN

Currently defined robotics are:
  TLD(0)     SCSI coordinates = MISSING_PATH:DEC11208F9

EMM Server = td002

inn_kam
Level 6
Partner Accredited

if the drive is not coming on OS Layer , then u have to contact HP Vendor

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Your blade server should have dedicated hba(s) for tape and robot. Check Windows device manager for medium changer and tape drives. As long as 'scan' does not see devices, forget about NBU. Check physical connection, zoning, etc. Download HBA tools to troubleshoot connectivity issues (e.g SanSurfer for Qlogic).

ibrahimbaba
Level 4

Ok will check on the device manager

inn_kam
Level 6
Partner Accredited

as said check Physical connection 

and check event logs

Check in My Computer Properties in Device Manager , is your TLD coming?

ibrahimbaba
Level 4

No I cant seem to find it on Device Manager

inn_kam
Level 6
Partner Accredited

so if not coming in Device Manager , u have to contact your TLD Vendor ,as problem in TLD not in netbackup

Marianne
As I've said before - check physical connection and zoning.

ibrahimbaba
Level 4

i have checked the drive is on the network via lan at least the fiber channels are what i am checking on now will get back to you with the results as for the zoning i have asked the admin to check on it so yet to get feed back from him

Marianne
Drives available on LAN? Are these devices iSCSI or FC? Important that you know which one and then check the config of the relevant protocol, up to OS-level config. Nothing we can do from NBU side to help.

ibrahimbaba
Level 4

Okay will let you know if i find an answer

ibrahimbaba
Level 4

Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to let you know the issue has been resolved here is how it went.

i opened a support case and while i was waiting i shutdown the tape library for about 10mins. By the time it came back on the support guy was able to run the scan cmd and subsequently the tpconfig -d cmd which was able to see and configure the drive. after which the configure storage devices wizard was used to add the library drive and paths on netbackup