cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

update retention level and recalculate all images?

Genericus
   VIP   

I backup all my images to a data domain at retention 00 - set to 4 weeks.

Then duplicate to tape at retention level 13 set to 8 weeks.

I am tight on space on the data domain and want to set retention 00 to 2 weeks and recalculate ALL images on the data domain. Both VTL and disk targets.

I know how to select images by tape id and recalculate, but can I simply issue a command to recalulate ALL images at retention 00?

Like "bpexpdate -recalculate -copy 1 -ret 00 -force" or "bpexpdate -recalculate -ret 00 -force"

I am concerned this will SET all image copy 1 to retention 00 - which would be bad since I know I have tapes that have been recopied and are now copy number 1.

Thanks in advance!

Now that I think about it, a command to recalculate all images at their retention value would work as well - do we have that?

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

X2
   VIP   

I'm not able to understand something:

@Genericus wrote:

Like "bpexpdate -recalculate -copy 1 -ret 00 -force" or "bpexpdate -recalculate -ret 00 -force"

I am concerned this will SET all image copy 1 to retention 00 - which would be bad since I know I have tapes that have been recopied and are now copy number 1.

Your backup to DD will create copy #1 on DD. The duplication from DD to tape will create copy #2 on tape.

Are there some other images which are on tape and are copy #1?

How about getting list of images on the DD using the folllowing and then changing the expiry date of those images only?

bpimmedia -stype DataDomain -dp <POOLNAME> >/tmp/NBU_Images.txt

Ref: bpimmedia 8.1.2

View solution in original post

Genericus
   VIP   

So looks like i have a solution that is a combination of scripts - 

1. for each tape in the data domain vtl - list the images and bpexpdate -recalculate -ret 00

2. for each image in the bpimmedia -stype DataDomain  run the bpexpdate -recalculate -ret 00 

NOTE - these take a long time to run. Then I have to clean the data domain to recover the space.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

X2
   VIP   

I'm not able to understand something:

@Genericus wrote:

Your backup to DD will create copy #1 on DD. The duplication from DD to tape will create copy #2 on tape.

Are there some other images which are on tape and are copy #1?

How about getting list of images on the DD using the folllowing and then changing the expiry date of those images only?

Ref: bpimmedia 8.1.2

pats_729
Level 6
Employee
Hi
This understanding is wrong
“I am concerned this will SET all image copy 1 to retention 00 - which would be bad since I know I have tapes that have been recopied and are now copy number 1.”

When you create a copy of an image the copy number increments to copy2 but it does not decrease if copy1 expired. However “Primary Copy” attribute get transferred to Copy2 from Copy1.

If this is still not the case then you must have backup I’d with you to set the desired retention levels. You can put backup ids in file and apply a loop to set retention level.

Hope it helps.

Genericus
   VIP   

If you backup - you get image copy number 1. If you duplicate that you get image copy number 2. If you duplicate either copy 1 or 2 you get copy number 3. UNLESS - a copy expires. These copy numbers never change.

If you backup at 2 week retention and duplicate to 1 year retention, then 6 weeks later make an infinite copy - you will create copy 1 as infinite and the 1 year copy will retain copy number 2.

I have updated from LTO2 to LTO5, so all my oldest infinite backups have various copy numbers. Since I copied them to disk then to tape.

I have both disk and VTL targets on DD, I was wondering how to recalc the boost images. Looks like your command might work to find those.

X2
   VIP   

@Genericus wrote:

I am tight on space on the data domain and want to set retention 00 to 2 weeks

Just noticed the above. Because of the deduplicaition on the DD, the savings might not be that much after reducing retention. It will reduce your compression ration at least a bit.

Also, do not forget the start a manual cleanup after the retention change to actually gain the space on the DD. Still would suggest to start looking at expansion though.

Genericus
   VIP   

Dedupe - delete 50% of the data ( from 4 weeks to 2 weeks retention ) and get back only 10% space...

Genericus
   VIP   

So looks like i have a solution that is a combination of scripts - 

1. for each tape in the data domain vtl - list the images and bpexpdate -recalculate -ret 00

2. for each image in the bpimmedia -stype DataDomain  run the bpexpdate -recalculate -ret 00 

NOTE - these take a long time to run. Then I have to clean the data domain to recover the space.

Genericus
   VIP   

more complete #2 
# nbdevquery -listdv -stype DataDomain

example: # nbdevquery -listdv -stype DataDomain
V_5_ DDve2_ddepcs-DP DataDomain dd_stu @aaaap 76.48 74.29 2 1 0 1 0 0 14 0
V_5_ DDve4-DP DataDomain StorageUnit1 @aaaar 256.83 255.65 0 1 0 1 0 0 14 0

Then add the @aaaa? to the bpimmedia command along with the -disk option
Example: # bpimmedia -l -mediaid @aaaap