cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

upgrade from netbackup 6.5.4 to 7

rakesh_nair
Level 4
I have netbackup server 6.5.4 and four media servers 6.5.4 all of them windows 2003 r2 enterprise x64 except one media server which is red hat linux 4.
What is the best and safest way to upgrade to 7.0.
will windows 2003 r2 x64 would be better or windows 2008 r2 x64?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kenneth_Hansen
Level 6
Partner
 What Tom is saying here is correct. Every new version usually make some changes to its DB  

In this casessbecause of functionality and so on.
If you are afraid of doing a upgrade of you prod environment I suggest this.

Scenario 1
Disable all policies, do a full catalog backup and a full backup of prod server.
Run the NBCC util with the  -upgrade switch so check you DB for inconsistencies. If ok
Upgrade to NBU 7 .

If for some reason upgrade fails, uninstall NBU reinstall NBU 6.5 path to 6.5.4 recover catalog.

Scenario 2

Patch NBU to 6.5.5
Disable all policies, do a full catalog backup and a full backup of prod server.
Run the NBCC util with the  -upgrade switch so check you DB for inconsistencies. If ok
Upgrade to NBU 7 .

If for some reason upgrade fails, uninstall NBU reinstall NBU 6.5 path to 6.5.5 recover catalog.

Scenario 3

If you have Vmware.
import you master to VMware, shut down physical server, start VM. 
Upgrade to NBU 7. In this case should the upgrade fail, no problem shut down VM, and start physical server.

All of these scenarios should work. 
I've have not done a upgrade from 6.5.x to 7 yet. But this is very straight forward. 
Also read the upgrade guide before you begin. 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

babyd
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified
Netbackup 7 is 64-bit application and it work with Windows 2003/2008. 

Upgrade your master server first and then upgrade the media servers.

rakesh_nair
Level 4
arre you suggesting a inplace upgrade ?
Can i have a fresh install of netbackup on windows 2008 r2 and import the catalog.
Is it supported?

Tom_Grimes
Level 3
v7 is designed to upgrade your existing installation and databases in place, I did it with no issues. I can see that your adverse to the risk of doing this to your production servers but I'm unsure that it will allow you to  import your catalog from an older version, in to a clean install, so it may be your only option. There are full instructions on rolling back should you have issues so as long as you have a full backup of everything you'll be fine.

Kenneth_Hansen
Level 6
Partner
 What Tom is saying here is correct. Every new version usually make some changes to its DB  

In this casessbecause of functionality and so on.
If you are afraid of doing a upgrade of you prod environment I suggest this.

Scenario 1
Upgrade to NBU 7 .

If for some reason upgrade fails, uninstall NBU reinstall NBU 6.5 path to 6.5.4 recover catalog.

Scenario 2

Patch NBU to 6.5.5
Upgrade to NBU 7 .

If for some reason upgrade fails, uninstall NBU reinstall NBU 6.5 path to 6.5.5 recover catalog.

Scenario 3

If you have Vmware.
import you master to VMware, shut down physical server, start VM. 
Upgrade to NBU 7. In this case should the upgrade fail, no problem shut down VM, and start physical server.

All of these scenarios should work. 
I've have not done a upgrade from 6.5.x to 7 yet. But this is very straight forward. 
Also read the upgrade guide before you begin. 

Alkalik
Level 2
I was reading you post on upgrade from netbackup 6.5.4 to 7. Does this same process apply if the master server is Win 2003 R2 SP2 32bit with Netbackup 7 already istalled? Goal is to uprade the master server to win 2008 R2 64bit with Netbackup 7 64 bit.

Turls
Level 6

@Alkalik, please start a new discussion with your question. Thanks!

celso20
Not applicable

does anyone have a link for the new discussion? i have the same concern, i have 6.5.4 and want to upgrade to 7.0 and I want to know which is easier, new install or upgrade. and my master server is a 32bit windows 2k3

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

"follow on" to this one it's here:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/netbackup-7-upgrade

If you want to create a new discussion for your issue use Create Content/Forum discussion:

Amit_Karia
Level 6

We changed hardware of our master server from pa-risc to itanium with existing version(6.5.5) and going to 6.5.5 to 7.0, as pa risc is not supported as master server