cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

usefulness of Application protection license

GlenG
Level 4

I have a NetBackup 6.5.4 master/media on Solaris x86-64 (Sun X4500).  I am working on upgrading to NetBackup 7.0/7.0.1 for the propose of getting Microsoft Excahnge 2010 support.

The compatibility list shows:"Jobs that use Granular Recovery Technology for Active Directory, Exchange, and SharePoint are not supported on this Media Server platform." for Solaris x86-64.

My question is, in this environment, what do I get with the Application protection license?

Should I plan to add a second media server until GRT is supported?  (This does not sound like a trivial task.)

Thanks,

GlenG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

How about installing Windows 2008 x64 on the 2nd server? We have a customer with W2008 on a Sun X4500 server. GRT backups can be done via the Windows media server.

Without a Windows (or other media server that supports GRT) you can still do full database backups using the NBU agent(s).

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

How about installing Windows 2008 x64 on the 2nd server? We have a customer with W2008 on a Sun X4500 server. GRT backups can be done via the Windows media server.

Without a Windows (or other media server that supports GRT) you can still do full database backups using the NBU agent(s).

RAPHAEL_F_CARVA
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

This statement means that the option to restore granular data (such as emails, calendar items, etc.) from information store backups is not available when doing a backup from a media server in that platform but, you still can do Information Store, Storage Groups or Mailboxes Backups/Restores and version 7.x is necessary for protecting Exchange 2010.

Regards,

Raphael Carvalho