cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/nbars not starting up

PranavB
Level 4

Geeks !

in my new NBU environment ,one of the solaris media server is not connecting and the reason is nbars which is not starting up.

#

Both master and media are solaris 10.

Master is on 7506 where media is on 7.0.1

master is fine ,nddb is pingable ,nbemmcmd -listhosts is giving the output but on the other side media server hangs at nbars starting when run the services.

./nbemmcmd -listhots ,getemmserver is not returning the output.

verified bp.conf and the hosts file both sides and they are fine.

Please suggest what i am missing.

all ports 13782,13724 and 1556 are connecting ,no firewall in between.

Pb

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

As per my previous post - please remove 7.0.1 software and install 7.5 followed by 7.5.0.6 patch.

Use bpclntcmd commands to confirm forward and reverse name lookup between master and media server.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne
Level 6

The fact that the media server is on NBU 7.0.1 says it cannot be new, right?

Was it working before you tried to config dd over fc (https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/not-able-add-storage-server-ddboost-over-fc ) ?

in all honesty, if you have confirmed forward and reverse name lookup and ports are open in both directions, I would simply start from scratch on this media server.

Remove all devices that may have been configured for this server, (use 'nbemmcmd -deletealldevices -machinename <server_name> -machinetype media' on the master server) deactivate the server on the master, then remove current NBU software on the media server (using pkgrm), followed by 7.5. installation and 7.5.0.6 patch.

Ensure devices can be seen at OS level, and if tape devices, with scan and/or sgscan as well, activate media server, confirm connectivity with master, then re-config devices.

PranavB
Level 4

There are no devices configured yet ,though i have zoned the tape drives and the DD FC ports but as DD FC is not supported on 7.0.1 ,it is of no use.

Forward and reverse lookups are fine.

bash-3.2# ./bptestnetconn -f -s
------------------------------------------------------------------------
FL:                                    stcssrybkp039 -> 10.215.56.69     :      0 ms
FL:                                STCSRHLBKP042-BKP -> 10.217.56.75     :      0 ms [local] [cluster/ri]
FL:                                STCSRHLBKP042-BKP -> 10.217.56.75     :      0 ms [local] [cluster/ri]
FL:                                STCSCHSBKP040-BKP -> 10.215.56.70     :      0 ms
Total elapsed time: 0 sec
bash-3.2# ./bptestnetconn -r -s
RL:     10.215.56.69 -> stcssrybkp039                                    :      0 ms
RL:     10.217.56.75 -> STCSRHLBKP042-BKP                                :      0 ms
RL:     10.217.56.75 -> STCSRHLBKP042-BKP                                :      0 ms
RL:     10.215.56.70 -> STCSCHSBKP040-BKP                                :      0 ms
Total elapsed time: 0 sec

watsons
Level 6

When you run "nbemmcmd -listhosts -verbose" from the media server, does it work? this is to check the EMM connection.

I can't remember what nbars is, but I believe it's something old - not in NB7.5 anymore maybe..

Marianne
Level 6

As per my previous post - please remove 7.0.1 software and install 7.5 followed by 7.5.0.6 patch.

Use bpclntcmd commands to confirm forward and reverse name lookup between master and media server.