cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

/usr/openv/netbackup/db/client/xxxx/host_info

John_Snodgrass
Level 4
Partner Accredited

I need to change the MAX_JOBS_THIS_CLIENT in the host_info for a NDMP NetApp server.  Since there is no properties that you can access or set from the GUI that would create the directory structure and host_info file.  Can I just do it manually from the OS level, and will it be used? I.E.

mkdir /usr/openv/netbackup/db/client/xxxx

touch host_info

vi host_info   add the line MAX_JOBS_THIS_CLIENT 8 save the file.

If this won't work, which is my gut feeling, is there any other way to do this?  I could set the MAX_JOBS higher for the entire master, but I really don't want to do that either as it could cause a bunch of issues on the rest of the clients.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Why not use bpclient command? Or Host Properties > Master > Client Attributes > Add/select client ?

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Why not use bpclient command? Or Host Properties > Master > Client Attributes > Add/select client ?

John_Snodgrass
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Marianne, I'll try it from the master properties -> client attributes and see what happens.  I was under the impression that it was under the client properities itself that controlled that.  Since NDMP has no client, you can't do that.  I'll have to do this tomorrow.  Thanks again, and will let the forum know of my sucess or failure.

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Client Attributes under Master Server Properties is different with Client Properties. Former is held by master server.

John_Snodgrass
Level 4
Partner Accredited

I added the NDMP server to the masters client attrinutes and low and behold it created the directory and the host_info file.  I've only ever done it before with a Windows or Standard client, so I was not 100% sure how it worked.  Anyway, the change is in to up the max jobs from 4 to 8, we'll find out this weekend if this works.

Will update again next week.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
FYI - client "Host Properties" are held/stored/saved on a client (command: bpgetconfig, bpsetconfig, nbgetconfig, nbsetconfig) - hence an NDMP client does not have these, and note how max jobs for a client is not saved there - however "Client Attributes" are held on the master server, and this area does have the max jobs per client name setting (command: bpclient).

mnolan
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

I believe you are looking for the maximum data streams setting in the master server's host properties under client attributes.

I've documented this in the following technote: https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH225572.html

John_Snodgrass
Level 4
Partner Accredited

mnolan,

What I have not been able to confirm yet is wheather or not what I did is working.  Is there a fix for that problem in 7.6 yet?  I don't understand how what you are saying fixes the problem?  If the system defualt is 4 jobs per client, and the NBMP failes and gets the 25, how would setting it to 6, 7, 8 fix it?  In my case I have more then 8 jobs trying to run?  I'm just hoping I can eliminate the 196's by letting more jobs run at the same time so they will all start within their window.

John_Snodgrass
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Best I can tell, it's still only allowing 4 jobs to run at once (global setting for the master), despite having this setup in the host_info file.

CONNECT_NON_RES_PORT 2
DYNAMIC_ADDRESS 0
FREE_BROWSE 0
LIST_RESTORE 0
MAX_JOBS_THIS_CLIENT 8
NO_CALLBACK 2
WOFB_ENABLED 0
WOFB_FIM 0
WOFB_USAGE 0
WOFB_ERROR 0
DAEMON_PORT_TYPE 3
OST_CLIENT_DIRECT 0
OST_PROXY 0
OST_PROXY_SERVER *NULL*
OST_CLIENT_DIRECT_RESTORE 0

mnolan
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Yes, the most restrictive takes prescedence. You would also need to increase master server setting.

John_Snodgrass
Level 4
Partner Accredited

No, it will use the client setting before the global setting, I've done this before for normal windows and unix clients, but never NDMP.

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH28070

To change the Maximum Jobs per Client once it has been originally set:
bpclient -client <client_name> -update -max_jobs #

To delete a client entry:
bpclient -delete -client <client_name>

To list a client entry:
bpclient -L -client <client_name>

Note: This setting will override the maximum jobs settings on both the policy and the master server level. See TechNote 267104 for further information.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Isn't mnolan right?  NetBackup uses the lowest value, i.e:

MIN( master_server_global_attributes_max_jobs_per_client, master_server_client_attributes_max_jobs_this_client, policy_attributes_max_jobs_this_policy )