cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

v6.5.2 MS Exchange 2007, trouble with restores...

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Pushing, from master, a restore to a Recovery Storage Group on clustered MS Exchange 2007 works fine.

But, client cluster member node pulling restore down fails with status 37 "operation requested by an invalid server", but I do have altnames entries allowing both cluster member nodes to browse and select for restore catalog entries for the database backups taken via the clustered instance of MS Exchange.

We've tried to follow:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/297412

Do "database agents" need additional "server=" entries in bp.conf on the master of medias, and/or do the media servers need to be registered "server=" on the client instead of just "media_server=" ?  Any advice?  Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5

kumar17
Level 3

konrad
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Did you figured out what was wrong?

I had the same problem. I added node names and cluster name to netbackup server list in "Backup, Archive and Restore" GUI.Then I created 3 files in .../netbackup/db/altnames/ (Linux) allowing restores from different clients:

File 1 name: <node1_name> containing:

<node2_name>

<cluster_name>

File 2 name: <node2_name> containing:

<node1_name>

<cluster_name>

File 3 name: <cluster_name> containing:

<node1_name>

<node2_name>

After all I was able to list backups in BAR GUI, but I was not able to initiate restore. Restore job failed at the very begining. I need to resolve that one remaining issue.

Michel_Steiner
Level 4
I don't have URL of the technotes, but there is one that says that if you have Exchange in a cluster, the restore will only work if started from the master/media server.

konrad
Level 4
Partner Accredited

That is pretty inconvenient in my opinion. Is there any workaround?

(i.e. adding cluster node names to the media or master server list)

davidbe
Level 4
I have the same problem with a plain MS cluster.
Try this, initiate the restore from another client console, any other server will do and tell me if it works, cause it did for me.
Dont forget to ajust the altnames files though.