cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vCloud Director with VCHS

Kev_Lamb
Level 6

Hi,

I am probably clutching at strwas here and do not really understand the VM world so probably cant do what I am thinking of doing.

We currently have a Veritas Cloud Hybrid Service installation which we are trialing with a view to migrate some of the VM's into the cloud, this uses its own vCloud Director using a URL to the vchs site, what I am trying to do is to connect to connect to the vCD to try the VM backups in the sane method I currently backup the local VM's using the vCenters

Is anyone using VCHS and is able to connect the credentials to the vCD in NetBackup and if so what were the steps.

Kev

Attitude is a small thing that makes a BIG difference
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

INT_RND
Level 6
Employee Accredited

This is kind of a VMWare question and the answer is that vCD does not replace vCenter. You need both. Netbackup interfaces with vCenter the same way it always did. vCD is an abstraction layer that doesn't have enough information about infrastructure to perform backups. Netbackup needs direct hardware access to create the shortest backup path. You would not want a backup to arbitrarily traverse the globe through a nebulous cloud. As a Backup Admin you want to know exactly where data came from and where it is going. From a datastore to a disk pool.

For more information read this blog entry from VMWare:

http://blogs.vmware.com/vcloud/2013/02/vmware-vcenter-vs-vcloud-director.html

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

INT_RND
Level 6
Employee Accredited

This is kind of a VMWare question and the answer is that vCD does not replace vCenter. You need both. Netbackup interfaces with vCenter the same way it always did. vCD is an abstraction layer that doesn't have enough information about infrastructure to perform backups. Netbackup needs direct hardware access to create the shortest backup path. You would not want a backup to arbitrarily traverse the globe through a nebulous cloud. As a Backup Admin you want to know exactly where data came from and where it is going. From a datastore to a disk pool.

For more information read this blog entry from VMWare:

http://blogs.vmware.com/vcloud/2013/02/vmware-vcenter-vs-vcloud-director.html