cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

variables in backup selection

Bruce_Clegg
Level 5

On our oracle servers my policies are set to backup the entire hard drive toTAPE.

I would like to set a second backup to backup certain files to DISK.  I don't have enough disk (yet) to backup everything.  I would like to set the backup selection to something like:  /oraLB/ts/backupset/2018_06_03/*

/oraLB/ts/backupset on it's own is too large.  I need to get a smaller chunk.  Does netbackup support this?

5 REPLIES 5

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Yes. Combined with Allow multiple data streams, one job will be initiated for each item in the folder.

Wild cards in Backup Selection is covered in NBU Admin Guide I.

Wildcards are useful - but I don't see how they are going to help in this case.

what I'd like to do is populate variables in the backup list from the operating system so that my backup selection would look something like:

/oraLB/ts/backupset/<YEAR>'_'<Month>'_'<Day>'/*

Genericus
   VIP   

If you script it, you should be able to run a command that matches that, but the output to the OS is the actual data, so NetBsackup would then work like a charm.

YEAR=date.year

MONTH=date.month

DAY=date.day

backup "/oraLB/ts/backupset/$YEAR_$MONTH_$DAY/\*"

outputs command like backup "/oraLB/ts/backupset/2018_06_04/*"

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS

I can do this from the gui?

Michal_Mikulik1
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

with variables defined, you can either run user-launched backups from client side:

bpbackup <parms> "/oraLB/ts/backupset/$YEAR_$MONTH_$DAY/\*" (you must have policy with User Schedule defined)

or, you can directly update a policy before you run a scheduled backup:

bpplinclude <policy> -modify <path> (client must be in Master Srv "Servers" to achieve this)

Well, dont you have Oracle Agent license to backup Oracle dbs directly to Netbackup? This way of backup is error-prone and overcomplicated.

Regards

Michal