cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vaulting questions from a visual learner

mad_about_you
Level 4

NBU 7.7.3

i have browsed the vaulting admin guide and for the life of me, i can't seem to comprehend what it is saying. fyi, i learn by doing and books really are not my forte.vaulting.PNG

my problem is this "Choose Backups" tab. i want my monthly backups to be vaulted but the selection here is based only on number of days passed.

1. how then can i make this vault profile work, on schedule, to vault my monthly backups?
  2. if i use vaulting, do i still need my backup policies? or vault uses my backup policies for its work?
  3. in the tab, what is "Location"? if vaulting is going to use my backup policies, i think this is not needed. right?

appreciate any helpful hints. thanks for your time.

5 REPLIES 5

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

So, what exactly do want to do with Vault? 
Duplicate certain backups and then send offsite (eject)?
Or just send offisite (Eject)?
See About Vault (Chapter 1) of the manual. 

In 'Choose Backups' you need to correctly identify your Monthly Backups.
Bear in Mind that the Vaulting step (Duplicate & eject or Eject) happens AFTER the backup.
Only backups that ran in the past X days (default is 7 days) will be considered when this profile runs.

How are Monthly Backups configured? 
Specific Policy Names?
Specific Schedule Names? 
You need to select sufficient criteria in the left column to ensure that all Monthly backups done in the last X are selected. 

(Explained under 'About configuring a profile using the Choose Backups tab' topic in the manual. )

Location is the Storage and/or Volume Pool that was used for backups - explained on page 79: 
A filter enabling you to choose which physical location you want to search for an image to vault.
By default, if the check box is not checked, all criteria in this field are included in the search.
Also on page 88:
Source Backups Reside On :
The location of the backup images: disk or removable media or both. Vault duplicates images
from the primary backup images on removable media or from backup images on disk.

So, let me try to answer your questions:

1. how then can i make this vault profile work, on schedule, to vault my monthly backups?
    Select your Monthly Schedules in the left column.

2. if i use vaulting, do i still need my backup policies? or vault uses my backup policies for its work?
    Yes! You still need policies to do the backups. Vault will only duplicate images and/or eject tapes based on selection in the profile. 
    You need to create a Vault Policy to schedule the profile that you created. 

3. in the tab, what is "Location"? if vaulting is going to use my backup policies, i think this is not needed. right?
    In most cases, no.  Explained above. 

Marianne

@mad_about_you

Looking at your last 2 posts regarding additional duplication copy and Vault, you may want to read through all posts in this discussion: 

https://vox.veritas.com/t5/NetBackup/SLP-s-vs-vault-management/td-p/515061

schedule.PNG

so i select schedule, but only the monthly ones. then it hit me, what "Available schedules" is it referring to?

in SLP there is no such schedule. in backup policies, the closes is the attribute name. is that the one?

Marianne

"Available schedules" are the ones that have been configured in Policies. 

SLPs do not have schedules - they cannot run on their own and still need regular Policies and Schedules to run. 

Genericus
   VIP   

Here is where planning can make a big difference - if you know you want specific backups vaulted, use a special schedule name like monthly_vault - so you can select it if the vault selection, or a special retention or pool.

I chose to separate my volume pools by retention, and my monthly backups have a longer retention.

I hate to waste tapes sending mostly empty tapes off site for a year, so I keep my long term tapes and continue writing to them and vault only full tapes, I run this vault every Friday, since it will also vault tapes brought back from Iron Mountain for restores (you should have a plan for how to get those back to IM)

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS