cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vm.conf

NIKHIL234656595
Level 6

The following values were previously configured using the /usr/openv/volmgr/vm.conf file in NetBackup 4.5/5.x. Refer to the NetBackup 6.0 Media Manager System Administrators Guide for UNIX and Linux for additional information on these options.
  • DISALLOW_NONNDMP_ON_NDMP_DRIVE
  • DO_NOT_EJECT_STANDALONE
  • DRIVE_NAME_SEED
  • RETURN_UNASSIGNED_MEDIA_TO_SCRATCH_POOL
  • SSO_SCAN_ABILITY
  • VAULT_CLEAR_MEDIA_DESC

What in case of NBU 7.1?

What aactually needs to be there in vm.conf in NBU 7.1?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Please read NBU 7.1 Admin Guide II section that I have referenced above.

There CAN be many more based on specific needs of the environment, but those two are the only ones that should be needed in a 'normal' installation.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Marianne

The reference to NBU 6.0 applies to all versions SINCE version 6.0. EMM database was first introduced in 6.0. So this applies to 7.1 and future NBU versions as well.

You can read up about all possible vm.conf entries in Admin Guide II under the topic About the vm.conf configuration file

The only entry that MUST be in vm.conf is 
MM_SERVER_NAME = host_name
This will be the name of that media server.

Another entry that I always put in vm.conf on each media server is
VERBOSE
This will cause Media Manager processes to log additional info to the OS System log. For example the reason for DOWNed drives will be logged to /var/log/messages on a Linux media server and to /var/adm/messages on a Solaris media server.

If you have created debug log folders under volmgr (to troubleshoot specific Media Manager issues) you will need to add the following entry in vm.conf as well because these log folders are not cleaned up with normal NBU logs:
DAYS_TO_KEEP_LOGS = number
(If you want to know more about Media Manager debug logs, read up about this topic in Troubleshooting Guide.)

In summary, I will only have these two entries in a 'standard' installation:

MM_SERVER_NAME = host_name
VERBOSE

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I think SSO scanability is in EMM now, for a start, I would have to check this to be 100% sure.

Best not to look at old TN, 7.x is very different.

Martin

Marianne

Seems NIKHIL was quoting from this TN: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH43622 
(IMHO still valid)

NIKHIL, PLEASE - this is ANOTHER kind request to ALWAYS tell us which TN or manual you are quoting from - just to ensure we are all 'on the same page.'
We are truly happy that you are now reading documentation.

NIKHIL234656595
Level 6

So post NBU 7.1,Below entries only exist in vm.conf file and rest in nbemmcmd?

MM_SERVER_NAME = host_name
VERBOSE

Marianne

Please read NBU 7.1 Admin Guide II section that I have referenced above.

There CAN be many more based on specific needs of the environment, but those two are the only ones that should be needed in a 'normal' installation.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

No, 

I simply said that the the 'scanability' setting was in EMM. I did not say that all of the settings were now in EMM.

Martin