Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vmware snapshot failed

lumir2
Level 3
Partner

Hello,

I'm trying to backup several VMs and all the attemtps finish by the same general error 156. 

Looking to the 2 attached log files does not help me to locate the problem

Please, look at the log files and if you have any idea, let me know ...

Thanks

Lumir

-------------

NBU: 7.5.0.4

ESX: ESXi 5.0.0

VMware Tools: installed

VM VMware snapshot: success

VM: w2k8.test.local (Windows2008R2), without NBU client installation

Transport method: NBD

STU: local disk

VM events: no events in VM and ESX log

----------------------

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Error code 6 in VIX API represents VIX_E_NOT_SUPPORTED(The operation is not supported).

fault.RestrictedVersion.summary is also logged in bpfis log.

15:12:14.793 [3320.3476] <2> onlfi_vfms_logf: INF - vmwareLogger: SOAP 1.1 fault: "":ServerFaultCode [no subcode]
"fault.RestrictedVersion.summary"

Which edition of vSphere are you using? Does it really support VADP?

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Douglas_A
Level 6

I actually ran into this recently at a customer, the issue is with the Permissions of the vmware account you are accessing vsphere with.

Please ensure you have DataCenter down permissions as documented in this article.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH130493

I find it much much easier to just create a user and add it to the Administrator group.

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

hi,

does it ever woked , or its a new configureation?

are you able to Browse and select Virtual machiens in the policy?

did you make sure that you have entered valid  Vcenter or ESX username and passwd in Netbackup?

lumir2
Level 3
Partner

Thanks Doug.

I use built-in account "root" with "Administrator" role for connection NBU to ESX server and he has got all the permissions. I re-apply permissions to whole Inventory tree - no change.

Lumir

lumir2
Level 3
Partner

Thanks Nagalla.

It is new installation vmware backup has never worked here.

Yes, I'm able to browse and select VM. I tested manually and by query too.

I hope my username and password are correct, my credentials were accepted by creating "Virtual Machine Servers" in NBU Credentials. I use the same u,p for vSphere Client to ESXi connection.

Lumir

sksujeet
Level 6

Are you able to create manual snapshot? Does it work? If it doesn't there is no way NBU will.

Your logs are showing exactly same error message as per this TN

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH150487

Your log errors:

15:14:18.668 [3320.3476] <2> onlfi_vfms_logf: INF - VMware_freeze: FTL - VMware snapshot failed: SYM_VMC_SOAP_ERROR

15:14:18.668 [3320.3476] <32> onlfi_freeze: FTL - VfMS error 11; see following messages:
15:14:18.668 [3320.3476] <32> onlfi_freeze: FTL - Fatal method error was reported
15:14:18.668 [3320.3476] <32> onlfi_freeze: FTL - vfm_freeze: method: VMware_v2, type: FIM, function: VMware_v2_freeze
15:14:18.668 [3320.3476] <32> onlfi_freeze: FTL - VfMS method error 7; see following message:
15:14:18.668 [3320.3476] <32> onlfi_freeze: FTL - VMware_freeze: VIXAPI freeze failed with 6

I agree with Douglas, please check your permission again and try the manual snapshot.

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6

Error code 6 in VIX API represents VIX_E_NOT_SUPPORTED(The operation is not supported).

fault.RestrictedVersion.summary is also logged in bpfis log.

15:12:14.793 [3320.3476] <2> onlfi_vfms_logf: INF - vmwareLogger: SOAP 1.1 fault: "":ServerFaultCode [no subcode]
"fault.RestrictedVersion.summary"

Which edition of vSphere are you using? Does it really support VADP?

lumir2
Level 3
Partner

Yasuhisa, thanks.

The cause of the problem was expired evaluated license. It works great after upgrade.

Thanks for your help.

Lumir