cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

volume pool - retention

guilhemlflo
Level 4

Hello,

I do backups that have one month retention, 2 year retention backups and infinite retention backups.

To do this, I have several schedules that call a different SLP.

The copy1 do it on disk then the copy 2 is done on tape.

what is the best: a pool volume for each retention or all backups in the netbackup pool?

I always used to have only one pool (the netbackup pool) but I would like to be sure not to make mistakes.

And,can I use the same pool for two different robots?

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

NetBackup does not mix retention levels on tapes. So 1 week retention in NetBackup pool will not be written to the same tape as a backup with 1 month retention.
UNLESS someone has changed the default in Host Properties to Allow Multiple Retentions per tape.
So, nothing wrong with having a single volume pool. 

Having different pools for different retentions is a personal preference.
If it will make your life easier having 1-Week pool, 1-Month pool, 6-Month pool, etc, then go ahead an do it.

Just make sure you have a Scratch pool so that tapes can automatically be assigned to the relevant pools.
If you don't have a Scratch pool, tape management will be a nightmare and you will constantly need to manually check available tapes in each pool.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Sujay24
Level 4
Employee

Hi Guilhe,

what is the best: a pool volume for each retention or all backups in the netbackup pool? SLP will automatcally picked the tape as per retention to duplicate the image keep some tape in scrtach pool so whenever there is lack of tape in Netbackup pool then it will pick tape from scratch pool.

can I use the same pool for two different robots? Yes you can use it.

hi,

so that's the way to go:
the netbackup pool contains several retention of several different backup robots.

What could be the benefit of having different pool for different retention?

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

NetBackup does not mix retention levels on tapes. So 1 week retention in NetBackup pool will not be written to the same tape as a backup with 1 month retention.
UNLESS someone has changed the default in Host Properties to Allow Multiple Retentions per tape.
So, nothing wrong with having a single volume pool. 

Having different pools for different retentions is a personal preference.
If it will make your life easier having 1-Week pool, 1-Month pool, 6-Month pool, etc, then go ahead an do it.

Just make sure you have a Scratch pool so that tapes can automatically be assigned to the relevant pools.
If you don't have a Scratch pool, tape management will be a nightmare and you will constantly need to manually check available tapes in each pool.

thansk,

I checked the setting of the master and indeed, I do not write on the band different retention.
I always had a single pool with a scratch pool usually but the new masters I just recovered all have about 20 different pools and I wanted to be sure to work properly.
Thank you.