cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vxms log question

kevindrys
Level 3

NBU 7.6.0.4 running on Windows Server 2008 R2. Master/Media on same server.

I have some questions regarding the NetBackup\logs\vxms directory:

1. Over the weekend the drive this directory is on ran out of space. The vxms directory was the largest consumer and to free up some space I moved about a week's worth of the olderst files in this directory off server. This directory looks like it's kept to about 30 days worth. Will the moving of these files cause problems for NetBackup when it goest to do it's pruning schedule?

2. What exactly is kept in this directory? The *provider.log and *core.log files are very large and I'm trying to understand what the different files in this directory are for. I've read through the NBU Wmware Admin Guide, but that is mainly configuration, not theory of operation.

3. The VXMS_VERBOSE is set to level 5. I'm not sure if this is the default setting, our NBU environment was configured by someone who has since retired. Does the verbosity need to be set to this level?

Thanks for any guidance. I'm relatively new to NetBackup as you can likely tell.

Kevin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

First thing Set the VXMS_VERBOSE to level 0.

The directory and its files pertain to file mapping during backups, most commonly for Virtual Machine backups.

Consult the NetBackup for VMware Administrator Guide section on Logging for all the details about the core and provider files.

NetBackup 7.7 for VMware Administrator's Guide

Shouldnt cause a problem moving them out as a quick fix.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Anonymous
Not applicable

First thing Set the VXMS_VERBOSE to level 0.

The directory and its files pertain to file mapping during backups, most commonly for Virtual Machine backups.

Consult the NetBackup for VMware Administrator Guide section on Logging for all the details about the core and provider files.

NetBackup 7.7 for VMware Administrator's Guide

Shouldnt cause a problem moving them out as a quick fix.

kevindrys
Level 3

Stuart - thank you for the quick reply. I set the VXMS_VERBOSE from level per your suggestion, but I decided to set it to level 1 just to ensure the capture of any errors.

Something else perhaps you could clarify for me. The NBU WMware Admin Guide states you can change the vxms verbosity in Logging Assistant. When I click on Loggig Assistant, I get nothing in the right pane, so I can only assume this is not enabled or set up in my environment. The guide talks about Logging Wizards which I'm unable to locate.

Along with that question is the Logging property within the Master Server properties. This is set to a global level of 5 and the other processes and debug levels are set to 'Same as global'. These I would assume are related to the VERBOSE registry entry - which in my case is set to 5.

I apologize for all these novice questions. Logging in NBU is very tunable and complete, and I'm just trying to gather some tribal knowledge on NBU logging.