cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what does "Media Date/Time" column mean?

manatee
Level 6

NBU 7.6.0.4

in NBU/Reports/Tape Reports/Images On Tape, there is a column labelled "Media Date/Time". what exactly does that mean? is it the creation date of the media or the jobs?

i have policies that have a retention of infinity and i'm trying to collect all the media it uses every month. i can sort the "Retention Period" column but to find, within that retention period, my monthly backup should i rely on the "Media Date/Time" column?

if only i could tell NBU to use a particular media ID or group of media IDs then this monthly backups will be a lot easier to handle.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Time assigned = when was tape taken from the scratch pool and used for backup

Fist Mount = When as tape first mounted (in its life time)

Last Mount = when was tape last mounted

Created = the date when Netbackup first enountered this tape

Data expiration = when will data on tape exire so the tape can be re-used

Last Written = The date when netbackup last wrote on the tape

Media expiration = when Netbackup should stop using the media (when tape should be EOSL)

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
If you are looking for tapes with Infinity retention I would recommend different reports. Tape List report or Tape Summary report (with Verbose option). To ensure Monthly backups go to a specific set of tapes, create a Monthly pool and select this pool in each Monthly schedule. If you do not have a Scratch pool, you need to move sufficient tapes to Monthly pool.

manatee
Level 6

that's logical. but how then i'll know that Exchange monthly backup goes to media ID Tape1 and Oracle monthly backup goes to media ID Tape2?

as far as i can tell, NBU will use a particular media until it is full. in effect, anything goes into a media until full.

manatee
Level 6

apparently, there is already a "Monthly" pool created and an SLP for monthly is using it.

but i got more confused. in the "Monthly" pool, i see several volumes and in it, there are columns for "Time Assigned", "First Mount", "Last Mount", "Created", "Data Expiration", "Last Written", but none would indicate the retention of "Infinity".

or is the column "Data Expiration" is the "Infinity"?

manatee
Level 6

btw, to add, there is also "Images" and "Valid Images" column and they have a value of 10.

the number of servers i need monthly is 10, so is this coincidental or this is it?

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Time assigned = when was tape taken from the scratch pool and used for backup

Fist Mount = When as tape first mounted (in its life time)

Last Mount = when was tape last mounted

Created = the date when Netbackup first enountered this tape

Data expiration = when will data on tape exire so the tape can be re-used

Last Written = The date when netbackup last wrote on the tape

Media expiration = when Netbackup should stop using the media (when tape should be EOSL)

manatee
Level 6

so it's the "Data Expiration" + "Last Written" + "Images" or "Valid Images" in the monthly pool. whew!!

i hope it gets easier with newer NBU versions.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Glad to see you managed to solve your own query.