cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what is archiving in Netbackup?

NIKHIL234656595
Level 6

what is archiving in Netbackup?basic definition

to move a data to different location with different retention?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

An Archive is initiated from the client

That client must exist in a policy that has a user archive schedule to allow it to run

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Seth_Bokelman
Level 5
Certified

Running an archive job against a client will move the data in the backup selection to disk/tape.  That is, it actually removes it from the client once the backup is complete, as opposed to simply making a copy like a "normal" backup job does.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

'User Archive' is explained very clearly in NBU Admin Guide I.

Please find links to your NBU version in the 'Handy Links' in my signature.

Extract from p. 631 of NBU 7.1 Admin Guide I:

A user initiates a user archive through the Backup, Archive, and Restore client interface.
A user archive backup first backs up the files that the user indicates. Then it deletes the
files from the local disk if the backup is successful. Archive backups free local disk space
while retaining a copy for future use. The copy is kept until the retention period expires.
Users can start archives only during the times that are specified in the schedule Start
Window tab.

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

May I ask, are you currently actually working with NetBackup, or are these just theoretical/examination/interview questions?  Because....you've been asking A LOT of them, and it seems like they're all answered pretty simply if you would only consult our documentation.

NIKHIL234656595
Level 6

we cant initiate this from our master server?

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

An Archive is initiated from the client

That client must exist in a policy that has a user archive schedule to allow it to run

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

No. You cannot. Accept it and move on.